- Title: IRAN: PARLIAMENT DEBATE PRIME MINISTER BAHONAR'S NEW CABINET.
- Date: 18th August 1981
- Summary: TEHERAN, IRAN TILT DOWN PAN Majlis in session. 0.12 TILT DOWN Bahonar and cabinet take seats. 0.27 GV & SV Speaker addressing Majlis PAN DOWN FROM Rafsanjani TO speaker. 0.41 SV New Prime Minister Bahonar speaks to colleagues. 0.48 SV Delegates reading newspaper. 0.52 SV PULL BACK GV PAN Rafsanjani seated. WIDE SHOT delegates seated. (2 SHOTS) 1.03
- Embargoed: 2nd September 1981 13:00
- Location: Iran, Islamic Republic of
- Country: Iran, Islamic Republic of
- Topics: General,Politics
- Reuters ID: LVAD05L6GWBHARC85HQFHKFHYXR5
- Aspect Ratio:
- Story Text: TEHERAN, IRAN
INTRODUCTION: In Teheran, the Iranian Parliament, the Majlis have now finished their debate on the cabinet list presented by the Prime Minister Dr. Mohammed Javad Bahonar. All but one of the 22 nominations put forward was accepted after being voted on by Parliament. The Iranian news agency Pars gave no reason why the nomination for the post of transport minister was rejected.
SYNOPSIS: The nominations for the cabinet included 13 new ministers. The rest had served in the previous government of Mohammed Ali Rajai, who is now president.
Mr. Bahonar, who is a Shi'ite clergyman, has drawn up a cabinet list dominated by strong religious fundamentalists. During the debate the Prime Minister said his cabinet would work to improve the war-battered economy.
The man rejected by the Majlis is Hussein Tajgardun, who was nominated for the post of Minister of Roads and Transport. No reason for his rejection has been given nor details of the voting released.
Mr. Bahonar had already received one set-back when his nomination for energy minister refused to serve.
The new cabinet is pledged to fight what Mr. Bahonar said were groups determined to attack Iranian society. In the last week the government have arrested hundreds of supporters of the main opposition group in several cities.
<strong>Source: AHMAD DELSHADIAN</strong>
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2014. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None