- Title: JORDAN: The United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF) Convoy sets out
- Date: 11th March 1991
- Summary: AMMAN, JORDAN (MARCH 11, 1991)(VISNEWS) UNICEF TRUCK PARKED ON ROAD CHILDREN WAITING NEAR TRUCK STILL OF KING HUSSEIN OF JORDAN AND IRAQI LEADER SADDAM HUSSEIN IN WINDSCREEN OF TRUCK VARIOUS VIEWS OF CHILDREN TRUCKS DRIVE AWAY
- Embargoed: 26th March 1991 12:00
- Location: AMMAN, JORDAN
- Country: Jordan
- Topics: Conflict,International Relations
- Reuters ID: LVAD21S8KR202TCNTXU5ZSXXX990
- Aspect Ratio:
- Story Text: The United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF) issued a statement on Tuesday (March 12) saying it would send 92-tonnes of medicines, vaccines, refrigeration equipment and water purification machinery to Baghdad. A 20-truck UNICEF convoy set out from Amman on Monday (March 11).
Another convoy carrying medicines, hospital equipment and two water purification plants arrived in Baghdad on Tuesday (March 12) as part of relief efforts by the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC).
The Geneva-based agency said its latest aid convoy included equipment to repair Baghdad's sewerage and water supply systems, destroyed by allied air raids during the Gulf war.
It said 110 tonnes of food would be distributed to those most in need in Baghdad, particularly patients in civilian hospitals.
Since the January 17 outbreak of war, the ICRC and the League of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies have delivered more than 500 tonnes of emergency relief supplies to Iraq.
The ICRC said it planned to expand its activities in Iraq in the coming weeks, giving priority to medical care and sanitation for the elderly, children and the sick and wounded.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2014. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None