- Title: TAIWAN: Investigators from the Philippines arrive
- Date: 27th May 2013
- Summary: TAOYUAN, TAIWAN (MAY 27, 2013) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF ELECTRONIC BOARD SHOWING FLIGHT ARRIVAL INFORMATION INVESTIGATION TEAM FROM THE PHILIPPINES WALKING INTO THE ARRIVAL HALL INVESTIGATION TEAM BEING SURROUNDED BY JOURNALISTS FILIPINO INVESTIGATOR SAYING: "SPEAK WITH OUR LEADER PLEASE." VEHICLES LEAVING THE AIRPORT
- Embargoed: 11th June 2013 13:00
- Topics: General
- Reuters ID: LVAD2SSC7900OMH5YDNBWM7JSAK4
- Aspect Ratio:
- Story Text: A delegation from the Philippines arrived in Taiwan on Monday (May 27) to investigate the fatal shooting of a Taiwanese fisherman by the Philippine Coast Guard.
The investigation team of consisting of eight people will visit Taiwan's Institute of Forensic Medicine before going to Pingtung to inspect the Guang Da Xing No. 28 fishing boat and the vessel's voyage data record, Taiwan's Foreign Ministry said.
A Taiwanese fisherman was killed in the shooting incident on May 9 by the Philippine coastguard in waters off the northern Philippines.
The Philippine Coast Guard admitted to the shooting incident, but said it was done in self-defence when the fishing vessel tried to ram their ship.
Both countries have agreed to hold a parallel investigation, with close coordination between the two investigation teams.
Diplomatic tensions between the countries heightened last week when Taiwan recalled its envoy to the Philippines and imposed sanctions on Manila.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2013. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None