- Title: UNITED KINGDOM: CHRISTIES HOLD AUCTION OF POP MEMORABILIA
- Date: 26th April 2001
- Summary: STILL BLACK AND WHITE PHOTOGRAPH OF BUDDY HOLLY IN WHITE SUIT
- Embargoed: 11th May 2001 13:00
- Location: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- Country: United Kingdom
- Topics: Arts / Culture / Entertainment / Showbiz
- Reuters ID: LVAD7V4K4QAYFWNZ0FMYV2ILW3BI
- Aspect Ratio:
- Story Text: Christie's auctioneers have been selling off rare items from the rock world...some of them unique. Among the most eye-catching items, a Buddy Holly stage suit, an Eric Clapton silver suit from the 1960s, and the original lyrics to The Beatles' masterpiece "Fool on the Hill."
Christie's auctioneers have staged a thrilling auction in London, with the star of the show being the original lyrics to "The Fool on the Hill" by The Beatles. It was estimated to sell for Â£12,000 but made far more - Â£17,000. It was sold to an anonymous buyer.
The lyrics were penned on notepapter from the elegant Hotel Negresco in Nice, in southern France. Paul McCartney, who wrote the song, was staying in the hotel in the autumn of 1967, when the song was completed. Unfortunately, the lyrics are extremely faded because of sun damage. McCartney travelled alone to Nice, to film one single shot for the Magical Mystery Tour film. The cost was a staggering Â£4,000, but deemed worth it at the time.
Another piece of Beatles memorabilia created a lot of interest, a rare early musicians' salary receipt for The Beatles and Tony Sheridan for seven days' work at the Top Ten Club, Hamburg, April, 1961. The agreement was hand written in German in blue ink. It individually listed the five Beatles and Tony Sheridan - George Harrison, Paul McCartney, John Lennon, Stuart Sutcliffe, Peter Best, and Tony Sheridan. Best and Sutcliffe left The Beatles, Sutcliffe tragically dying later before The Beatles became major stars.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2014. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Video restrictions: parts of this video may require additional clearances. Please see ‘Business Notes’ for more information.