- Title: MALAYSIA: Czech President Klaus starts Asian trip
- Date: 5th July 2012
- Summary: KUALA LUMPUR, MALAYSIA (JULY 5, 2012) (REUTERS) CZECH PRESIDENT VACLAV KLAUS COMING OUT OF LIFT OF CARLTON HOTEL AND WALKING THROUGH FOYER CAMERAS KLAUS ENTERING BANQUET HALL FOR LUNCH. KLAUS TAKING HIS SEAT FOR LUNCH IN BANQUET HALL PRESIDENT ADDRESSING ASEAN MEMBERS (SOUNDBITE) (English) CZECH PRESIDENT VACLAV KLAUS, SAYING: "It's a real pleasure being here, thank you for the invitation. As it was mentioned in the introduction: This is my second visit to your beautiful and as I see very dynamic country. I was here 16 years ago in my capacity as prime minister of the Czech Republic and I came again to control, to check (laughing) the developments of the last 16 years and I can assure you that in the first hours, we came yesterday evening and in the first hours I must say that the country has changed visibly, dramatically, definitely much more than the continent I am living in, in Europe. So, the dynamic development of your country and your region is quite visible." DELEGATES LISTENING (SOUNDBITE) (English) CZECH PRESIDENT VACLAV KLAUS, SAYING: "I must say that you are lucky not being the object of the current European turmoil, just looking at it from outside and as we are there, we are not uninvolved observers, we live there, our friends, our families, our children and grandchildren and therefore we are deeply involved." KLAUS IS PRESENTED WITH SILVER PLATE BY ASLI MEMBERS
- Embargoed: 20th July 2012 13:00
- Location: Malaysia
- Country: Malaysia
- Topics: International Relations,Politics
- Reuters ID: LVAD914MBTNXGUD8M14TEL50IAK
- Aspect Ratio:
- Story Text: The President of the Czech Republic Vï¿½lav Klaus on Thursday (July 5) kicked off a five-day visit to Malaysia.
Speaking ahead of a roundtable discussion organised by the Asian Strategy and Leadership Institute (ASLI), Klaus told delegates he was impressed by the changes the country had undergone since his last visit 16 years ago.
"I can assure you that in the first hours, we came yesterday evening and in the first hours I must say that the country has changed visibly, dramatically, definitely much more than the continent I am living in, in Europe. So, the dynamic development of your country and your region is quite visible," he said.
In 2011 Malaysia and the Czech Republic celebrated the 40th anniversary of diplomatic relations. On this visit Klaus is accompanied by his wife Livia Klausova. Klaus will also meet with with Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak and his predecessor Mahathir Mohamed to talk about cooperations in trade and investments, education, tourism and technology development.
Malaysia is the third largest trading partner of the Czech Republic after Thailand and Singapore.
Klaus will visit Indonesia on Sunday (July 8).
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2012. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None