- Title: GERMANY: Macedonia's FM discusses regional security with German counterpart.
- Date: 20th March 2012
- Summary: BERLIN, GERMANY (MARCH 20, 2012) (REUTERS) ( * BEWARE FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY **) VIEW OF BERLIN LANDMARK TV TOWER WITH SQUARE AND STATUES VARIOUS OF EXTERIORS OF GERMAN FOREIGN MINISTRY GERMAN FOREIGN MINISTER GUIDO WESTERWELLE AND MACEDONIAN FOREIGN MINISTER, NIKOLA POPOSKI ARRIVING FOR PHOTOOP / SHAKING HANDS PHOTOGRAPHERS WESTERWELLE AND POPOSKI ARRIVING FOR TALKS VARIOUS OF WESTERWELLE AND POPOSKI DURING TALKS
- Embargoed: 4th April 2012 13:00
- Location: Germany, Germany
- Country: Germany
- Topics: International Relations,Politics
- Reuters ID: LVADD2ZGO46DWVIZWKX1UYCM0ZU6
- Aspect Ratio:
- Story Text: Macedonia's foreign minister meets with his German counterpart to discuss a recent spate of ethnic violence in the capital Skopje and the countries EU and NATO aspirations.
Macedonia's Foreign Minister Nikola Poposki on Tuesday (March 20) met with his German counterpart to discuss an escalation in ethnic attacks in the Macedonian capital and regional security, Police have stepped up security in Skopje after ethnic violence that is threatening a precarious peace in effect since civil war was narrowly avoided a decade ago.
No one has been killed in several days of violence, but more than a dozen people have been hospitalised as rival gangs from the Slavic-speaking majority and ethnic Albanian minority fought each other with metal bars, baseball bats and knives.
The two leaders also discussed Macedonia's EU and NATO hopes.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2012. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None