- Title: FILE: SOCCER/FOOTBALL: Former Portugal midfielder Deco retires
- Date: 26th August 2013
- Summary: FILE (REUTERS) NEUCHATEL, SWITZERLAND (JUNE 10, 2008) (CONVERTED 4:3 MATERIAL) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF DECO TRAINING WITH PORTUGAL UNDER COACH LUIZ FELIPE SCOLARI (RED CAP) RIO DE JANEIRO, BRAZIL (AUGUST 9, 2010) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF DECO AFTER SIGNING FOR FLUMINENSE
- Embargoed: 10th September 2013 13:00
- Location: Brazil
- Country: Brazil
- Topics: Sports
- Reuters ID: LVAEAJK5TLC56I0190LC8KZCTGAY
- Aspect Ratio:
- Story Text: Former Portugal midfielder Deco announced his retirement on Monday (August 26), one day short of his 36th birthday, after a frustrating sequence of injuries.
"I'd like to continue until the end of the Brazilian championship but I'm not up to it," the former Porto, Barcelona and Chelsea player, who had been playing for Brazilian champions Fluminense, said in a statement.
"I would have liked to have helped Fluminense more than I did, but my body didn't let me," added Deco, whose final appearance was against Goias last Wednesday.
Brazilian-born Deco was raised at Corinthians and moved to Portugal in 1997 before he had made an impact in his own country.
He initially joined Alverca, but his career took off after moving to Porto in 1998. He spent six years at the club, winning the Champions League in 2004, then moved to Barcelona for four seasons and Chelsea for two, before returning to Brazil three years ago.
Deco, whose full name is Anderson Luis de Souza, obtained Portuguese citizenship and was picked for the first time by coach Luiz Felipe Scolari, also a Brazilian, in 2003 amid some controversy.
By chance, his debut was against Brazil in a friendly when he scored from a free kick in a 2-1 win. He went on to play for Portugal in two World Cups and two European championship tournaments.
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2013. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None