- Title: BOSNIA AND HERZEGOVINA: Bosnians waltz towards Europe
- Date: 11th May 2010
- Summary: (SOUNDBITE) (English) ORGANISER OF DANCE, ZLATKO BERBIC, SAYING: "So people come here to have fun, to send a message from Bosnia of love, message of dance, message of freedom. So this is something that we really want to be - a part of Europe." (SOUNDBITE) (English) ITALIAN, ALEX, SAYING: "It's really nice, I'm feeling a really good atmosphere here, it looks great. I love Bosnia."
- Embargoed: 26th May 2010 13:00
- Location: Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Country: Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Topics: International Relations,Light / Amusing / Unusual / Quirky
- Reuters ID: LVAEJ2JH6VEOUTEGS505UXQLGGV9
- Aspect Ratio:
- Story Text: Thousands of Bosnians are hoping their efforts to break a world waltz record will send a symbolic message that the Balkan country belongs in Europe.
More than 1,500 Bosnian couples in the town of Tuzla danced to "On the Beautiful Blue Danube", by Johann Straus II on Friday (May 7), in their bid to break the record for the most number of waltzing couples.
"People come here to have fun, to send a message from Bosnia of love, message of dance, message of freedom. So this is something that we really want to be - a part of Europe," said Zlatko Berbic, the event's organiser.
People from all parts of the country and from abroad came to Tuzla to take part in the event.
"It's really nice, I'm feeling a really good atmosphere here, it looks great. I love Bosnia," said Alex who travelled from Italy to do the waltz.
Meanwhile, the Austria's Ambassador to Bosnia and Herzegovina, also attended the event.
"That's the important message, you can see the bridge, the young people, they are really linking not only Tuzla and Vienna, but Austria, Bosnia-Herzegovina and Europe and the whole world tonight. It's very important." said Donatus Koeck.
Bosnia and Albania are the only two western Balkan countries that still have not joined the Schengen area, which would have given the Bosnian people ability to enjoy unrestricted access to Europe.
In 2008 Bosnia signed the SAA (Stabilisation and Association Agreement) with the European Union (EU), which opened the door for EU membership, but is lagging behind other countries in the region in undertaking necessary reforms.
The current Guiness world record for the largest waltz was set in 2009 in the British city of Bath when 315 couples waltzed in the city's central square.
Organisers of Friday's event expect the official verification of the Guiness world record in the next couple of months.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2011. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None