- Title: LIBYA: Sirte hospital doctors fight to keep injured combatants alive
- Date: 19th September 2011
- Summary: SIRTE, LIBYA (SEPTEMBER 18, 2011) (REUTERS) VARIOUS EXTERIORS OF MAKESHIFT FIELD HOSPITAL AT GAS STATION AMBULANCE DRIVING DOCTORS IN FIELD HOSPITAL DOCTORS TREATING INJURED MAN VARIOUS OF DOCTORS GIVING EMERGENCY HEART MASSAGE ON PATIENT EXTERIOR OF HOSPITAL (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) DOCTOR HUSSAM ABDULLAH SAYING: "Today we received 21 injured and two dead. Some of the injuries are serious and we moved them to the field hospital or to the other field hospital in Misrata for treatment and surgery." DOCTOR GIVING EMERGENCY HEART MASSAGE VARIOUS OF PATIENT LYING DOWN DOCTOR GIVING EMERGENCY HEART MASSAGE
- Embargoed: 4th October 2011 13:00
- Location: Libya
- Country: Libya
- Topics: Conflict,Defence / Military
- Reuters ID: LVAEKLF4Y3IN3AJTREUP4HAHK771
- Aspect Ratio:
- Story Text: Medics at a small makeshift field hospital on Sirte's outskirts treated scores of National Transitional Council (NTC) soldiers on Sunday (September 18).
Doctor Hussam Abdullah said their hospital had received 21 injured fighters and two dead. "Today we received 21 injured and two dead. Some of the injuries are serious and we moved them to the field hospital or to the other field hospital in Misrata for treatment and surgery," he said.
A hospital spokesman later said that the figure had risen to around 50 casualties.
As in many episodes during Libya's conflict, the frontlines at Sirte and Bani Walid have ebbed back and forth, with shows of bravado colliding with the reality of battle.
Scores of civilian cars and pick-up trucks poured out of the city, with residents describing water and electricity shortages amid street fighting.
Gaddafi forces were patrolling the streets in the centre, they said, making their lives a misery.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2013. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None