- Title: HONG KONG: VIETNAMESE REFUGEES TO LEAVE FOR HOME
- Date: 22nd February 1989
- Summary: HONG KONG (REUTERS) LV/PAN Exterior of refugee camp 0.04 SVs Refugees watch as others get haircut (4 shots) 0.16 SV Police checking refugees' documents 0.25 SV/CUs Official addressing refugees through loudspeaker (3 shots) 0.36 SVs/CUs Officials issuing travel documents to refugees (5 shots) 0.46 CUs/SVs Official issues documents, refugee showing documents (6 shots) 1.17 CU/SV Parent holding crying child (2 shots) 1.22 Initials EDIT NO. 769 Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Embargoed: 9th March 1989 12:00
- Location: Hong Kong, Hong Kong, China
- Country: Hong Kong
- Topics: General,Politics
- Reuters ID: LVAEN1GIIPHDGXFEOPYK0V0JCDIP
- Aspect Ratio:
- Story Text: HONG KONG
The first group of 81 Vietnamese refugees to head back voluntarily to Hanoi from Hong kong are waiting to be repatriated. The group, which is due to return to Vietnam on March 1st, was interviewed earlier this month by a Vietnamese immigration team which issued them travel documents. They are returning under the supervision of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) through an agreement reached late last year between Britain, Hong Kong and Vietnam, under which Hanoi agreed not to persecute them.
The Governor of Hong Kong, Sir David Wilson, said on Tuesday that the Crown Colony may seek to empty its crowded refugee camps by forcing some Vietnamese home. But officials in Hong kong have made it clear that forced repatriation will only apply to refugees who arrived after June 16th 1988 unless they can prove that they are genuine refugees.
<strong>Source: REUTERS - Gary Ling</strong>
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2014. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None