- Title: ARGENTINA: RIOTS AS 'EVITA' PREMIERES IN ARGENTINA
- Date: 21st February 1997
- Summary: VIEWER SAYS IT WAS GREAT AND IT WAS JUST LIKE THE PLAY IN NEW YORK (SPANISH) OTHER VIEWER SAYS IT WAS GREAT, I LOVED IT, IT IS JUST ANOTHER CHAPTER IN THE HISTORY OF EVITA (SPANISH) OTHER VIEWER SAYS IT SHOWED EVITA AS A PROSTITUTE FOR LIKE THIRTY MINUTES AND ONLY 5 ABOUT HER DEEDS (SPANISH) PROJECTILES THROWN IN THEATRE (VARIOUS)
- Embargoed: 8th March 1997 12:00
- Location: BUENOS AIRES AND LA PLATA, ARGENTINA
- Country: Argentina
- Topics: Crime,Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA9QVUM94NLEPSC9ETLVTYCOR3X
- Aspect Ratio:
- Story Text: Police were called in to control riot scenes as "Evita", Alan Parker's film based on the life of Eva Peron, premiered in Argentina.
In Buenos Aires, crowds surrounded movie theatres showing "Evita" and protesters taunted those who came to see the film.
In La Plata, the capital of the province of Buenos Aires, the revolutionary group "Quebracho" made their presence felt as they attacked the ticket booths of the city's theatres with sticks and rocks.
The film has created an emotional controversy in the land of "Evita," where for some Argentines believe Eva Peron was a saint who helped the poor and gave women the right to vote.
This perception is far from the image that is portrayed in the movie, where Eva Peron is played by Madonna.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2014. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None