- Title: FRANCE: Paris's Eiffel Tower lights up to mark Europe Day
- Date: 9th May 2006
- Summary: ARC OF TRIUMPH IN BLUE
- Embargoed: 24th May 2006 13:00
- Location: France
- Country: France
- Topics: Light / Amusing / Unusual / Quirky
- Reuters ID: LVAAM7USQCKQCDBOOP4VWYM8GMN3
- Aspect Ratio:
- Story Text: European and French officials pressed a button on midnight, lighting up some of France's most famous landmarks to celebrate Europe Day, May 9.
The Eiffel tower and the Arc of Triumph were just some of the country's monuments bathed in a deep blue light -- the colour of the European flag -- to commemorate the day. The National Assembly, the Senate and the France's Foreign Ministry, the Quai d'Orsay were also illuminated at the same.
French officials hope that the celebration will restore public confidence in Europe after the draft EU constitution was derailed by "No" votes in France and Holland in 2005.
Celebrations across the country will be organised including a special Eurostar train in the EU colours departing from the Gare du Nord station and a special blue metro ticket to commemorate the day.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2014. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None