- Title: Anti-Trump protest held in Rome as U.S. President arrives in Italy
- Date: 23rd May 2017
- Summary: VARIOUS OF DEMONSTRATORS SINGING "GIVE PEACE A CHANCE"
- Embargoed: 6th June 2017 21:29
- Keywords: protest anti-Trump demonstration Pope Francis Vatican Rome U.S. President Donald Trump
- Location: ROME, ITALY
- City: ROME, ITALY
- Country: Italy
- Topics: Diplomacy/Foreign Policy,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA0026I2A3WN
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Around 100 mainly U.S. expatriates chanted slogans and sang songs as they protested in Rome against U.S. President Donald Trump's arrival in Italy on Tuesday (May 23).
Armed with banners and flags, the demonstrators gathered at a Roman square a few kilometres from the residence of the U.S. ambassador where Trump is overnighting.
The demonstration was organised by the American Expats for Positive Change (AEPC Italy) and Women's March Rome. The demonstrators held up banners reading "Ban Travel for Trump" and "Just Leave" and chanted "Love trumps hate", "Education not deportation" and "Trump, you're fired".
Trump is due to meet with Pope Francis in the Vatican on Wednesday (May 24) morning. He will then hold brief talks with President Sergio Mattarella and Prime Minister Paolo Gentiloni. Melania Trump is due to visit a Vatican-owned children's hospital while Ivanka Trump will meet victims of human trafficking, and a Catholic charity community.
Trump is due to spend less than 24 hours in Italy before flying to Brussels for talks with European Union and NATO chiefs. He will return to Italy on Thursday for a summit of the Group of Seven (G7) major industrialised nations in Sicily.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.