- Title: EU, NATO, Belgium leaders express sympathy with Manchester attack victims
- Date: 23rd May 2017
- Summary: BRUSSELS, BELGIUM (MAY 23, 2017) (REUTERS) MAN LOOKING AT COMPUTER SCREEN DISPLAYING MESSAGE OF SYMPATHY POSTED ON SOCIAL NETWORK TWITTER BY EU COUNCIL PRESIDENT DONALD TUSK
- Embargoed: 6th June 2017 09:53
- Keywords: bombing Arena attack Michel reaction Britain NATO EU Manchester Stoltenberg Juncker Tusk Tajani
- Location: BRUSSELS, BELGIUM & INTERNET
- City: BRUSSELS, BELGIUM & INTERNET
- Country: Belgium
- Topics: Bombing (non-military),Conflicts/War/Peace
- Reuters ID: LVA0036I272VB
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Top officials from the European Union, NATO and Belgium expressed their sympathy on Tuesday morning (May 23) with the loved ones of the victims of an attack in Manchester, United Kingdom late on Monday evening (May 22).
European Council President Donald Tusk wrote on social media Twitter "My heart is in Manchester this night. Our thoughts are with the victims," while EU Commission Jean-Claude Juncker wrote "Today we mourn with you."
He later sent a press release where he described the attack, in which at least 22 people have been killed and dozens injured at Manchester Arena just after Ariana Grande had finished her concert at the venue, as the work of people seeking 'to destroy our way of life,' trying to 'instil fear where there should be joy' and 'to sow division where young people and families should be coming together in celebration.'
Juncker went on to say that he believes the attack would 'strengthen (the EU's) commitment to work together to defeat the perpetrators of such vile acts."
EU Parliament President Antonio Tajani's wrote that his 'prayers are with the victims and families of those who have been injured.'
NATO Secretary General called the attack 'barbaric' and added the alliance stood 'with the UK in the fight against terrorism.'
Also writing on Twitter, Belgian Prime Minister Charles Michel expressed his country's support for Britain.
The attack in Manchester comes in the midst of Britain's General Election campaigning, which has been suspended until further notice.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None