- Title: Anti-NATO protesters stage action in EU Commission building
- Date: 23rd May 2017
- Summary: BRUSSELS, BELGIUM (MAY 23, 2017) (REUTERS) POLICE CAR PARKED OUTSIDE EU COMMISSION'S DIRECTORATE-GENERAL FOR INTERNAL MARKET, INDUSTRY, ENTREPRENEURSHIP AND SMALL AND MEDIUM-SIZED ENTERPRISES (SMES) ENTRANCE SIGN WITH EUROPEAN COMMISSION LOGO PROTESTERS SITTING IN TENTS INSIDE BUILDING AS SECURITY STAND BY / TWO PROTESTERS HOLDING A SIGN READING (English): "No EU money for arms dealers" TWO PROTESTERS HOLDING SIGN READING (English): "No EU money for arms dealers" PROTESTERS IN TENTS SITTING IN CIRCLE PLAYING BOARD GAME RISK / PROTESTER GIVING CAMERA A THUMBS UP VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS PLAYING BOARD GAME RISK PIECE MOVED ON BOARD PROTESTERS PLAYING GAME IN FRONT OF TENTS BEHIND CORDON READING (English): "stop the arms trade.eu" (SOUNDBITE) (English) ACTIVIST, BRAM VRANKEN, SAYING: "So today we take action against the further militarisation of the European Union. We see that the Commission has for the first time started with subsidising the arms industry for doing military research and we think this is unacceptable." CLEANING LADY WALKING PAST SIGN FOR INTERNAL MARKET, INDUSTRY, ENTREPRENEURSHIP AND SMALL AND SMES DIRECTORATE-GENERAL (SOUNDBITE) (English) ACTIVIST, BRAM VRANKEN, SAYING: "We wish that the European Commission will take action against subsidising the arms industry, will stop subsidising the arms industry immediately and will, will instead subsidise useful research which is beneficial to most European citizens." PROTESTERS PLAYING RISK IN FRONT OF TENTS PROTESTERS MOVING PIECES ON BOARD VARIOUS OF SECURITY GUARDS STANDING BY AND WATCHING PROTESTERS POLICE OFFICERS TALKING TO PROTESTER POLICE OFFICERS ENTERING COMMISSION BUILDING POLICE OFFICERS, POLICE VEHICLES OUTSIDE COMMISSION BUILDING
- Embargoed: 6th June 2017 13:30
- Keywords: Activist Peace Camp Protest U.S. President Donald Trump Summit NATO
- Location: BRUSSELS, BELGIUM
- City: BRUSSELS, BELGIUM
- Country: Belgium
- Topics: NATO,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA0016I28J0N
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:A group of activists gathered on Tuesday (May 23) at a European Commission building in Brussels, calling on the European Union's executive arm to "take action against subsidising the arms industry".
The protest was held just as Brussels prepares to host a NATO meeting, which U.S. President Donald Trump, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan and other major world leaders are due to attend.
The small group of protesters pitched tents in the lobby of the building and surrounded their area with tape, playing board games.
They oppose EU plans to pool public money into a fund to help pay for joint military projects and a European Commission proposition to come in early June of up to 400 million euros ($444 million) from the bloc's joint budget until 2020 to develop new European military equipment and weapons.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None