- Title: French unions urge Macron not to rush through labour reform
- Date: 23rd May 2017
- Summary: PARIS, FRANCE (MAY 23, 2017) (REUTERS) MACRON SEEING BERGER OUT / BERGER WALKING TO PODIUM (SOUNDBITE) (French) GENERAL SECRETARY OF CFDT WORKERS UNION, LAURENT BERGER, SAYING: "I think the president of the Republic seemed determined in implementing what he had announced without going into detail because there are many things which we can't foresee, but he seemed opened to dialogue and willing to listen but you know, we'll see the facts as it all unfolds." BERGER LEAVING VARIOUS OF GENERAL SECRETARY OF THE CGT WORKERS UNION, PHILIPPE MARTINEZ, ARRIVING IN COURTYARD AND ENTERING PALACE
- Embargoed: 6th June 2017 14:59
- Keywords: plans reform labour Macron unions French
- Location: PARIS, FRANCE
- City: PARIS, FRANCE
- Country: France
- Topics: Lawmaking,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA0036I28Y13
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:French unions urged President Emmanuel Macron on Tuesday (May 23) not to try to hustle through his labour reform plans this summer, in contrast with calls from the main employers' group for swift measures to reinforce rising business optimism.
Macron's meetings with unions and employers were a first crucial test of his commitment to carry out labour reforms which he sees as vital to reviving an economy bedevilled by high unemployment, but which are opposed on the Left.
Laurent Berger, the head of France's biggest moderate trade union said he had urged the newly-elected Macron to leave more time for discussion and not to try to rush his reforms through by executive decree this summer - a strategy which Macron has suggested he might follow.
The centrist leader wants to make hiring and firing easier by giving more powers to companies to reach in-house deals on working time, for instance, and capping severance packages awarded by industrial tribunals.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None