- Title: Flags in Brussels, Paris at half-mast after Manchester attack
- Date: 23rd May 2017
- Summary: BRUSSELS, BELGIUM (MAY 23, 2017) (REUTERS) EXTERIOR OF BRITISH EMBASSY (LOCATED 200 METRES FROM EU INSTITUTIONS) BRITISH FLAG WITH ROYAL COAT OF ARMS AT HALF-MAST OUTSIDE BRITISH EMBASSY, EU FLAG SIGN, READING (English): "UK Representation to the EU Brussels" BRITISH EMBASSY'S FACADE IRONWORK OF BRITAIN'S ROYAL COAT OF ARMS PEOPLE WALKING OUTSIDE BRITISH EMBASSY
- Embargoed: 6th June 2017 12:59
- Keywords: British embassy European Commission Brussels Paris Jean-Claude Juncker Britain attack Manchester
- Location: PARIS, FRANCE & BRUSSELS, BELGIUM & INTERNET
- City: PARIS, FRANCE & BRUSSELS, BELGIUM & INTERNET
- Country: France
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,International/National Security
- Reuters ID: LVA0026I289JB
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Flags in Brussels and Paris were at half-mast on Tuesday (May 23) in solidarity with the victims of an attack in Manchester that killed 22 people.
An unidentified suicide bomber is suspected of carrying out the deadly attack. Islamic State has since claimed responsibility for the Manchester Arena massacre.
Flags were lowered outside the British embassies in the Belgian and French capitals, as well as outside European institutions.
Speaking at the European Commission headquarters, the EU executive's Chief Spokesperson Margaritis Schinas told reporters Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker had conveyed his sympathy to the British people after the "cowardly" attack.
Passers-by in Paris, which has been hit by a string of Islamist attacks, said they were shocked by the killings but urged citizens to continue to go out and live normally.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None