- Title: Twin bomb blasts kill at least 3 policemen in Jakarta
- Date: 24th May 2017
- Summary: JAKARTA, INDONESIA (MAY 24, 2017) (REUTERS) POLICE STANDING AT BLAST SITE PEOPLE STANDING BEHIND THE POLICE LINE POLICEMAN WALKING POLICEMAN STANDING NEAR BLAST SITE PEOPLE GATHERING AROUND POLICE CARS (SOUNDBITE) (Bahasa Indonesia) EYEWITNESS, ABDULLAH SAYING: "I was on my way to pick up my daughter in the Condet area at about 9pm local time (1400 GMT). I was under the flyover bridge when suddenly I heard a very loud explosion and people started running out from the bus stop. People were panicking and cars and motorcycles were sounding their horns at each other. I tried to pull over and I saw people exhausted from running and heard a bomb had exploded. I didn't see any victims but I saw about 20 people running out from the shelter and a bus. I only heard one blast, people said there were two, but I only only heard the last blast very loud, even under my helmet." POLICE STANDING
- Embargoed: 7th June 2017 19:43
- Keywords: police officers killed blast suicide bombers Indonesia Jakarta
- Location: JAKARTA, INDONESIA
- City: JAKARTA, INDONESIA
- Country: Indonesia
- Topics: Bombing (non-military),Conflicts/War/Peace
- Reuters ID: LVA0016I794XX
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Two suspected suicide bombers killed three Indonesian police officers and injured 10 people on Wednesday (May 24) night in twin blasts near a bus station in the eastern part of the capital, police said.
The blasts went off five minutes apart at Jakarta's Kampung Melayu terminal, police said.
National Police spokesman Setyo Wasisto said three officers had been killed, and that examination of the scene had shown that there appeared to have been two suicide bombers, not one as originally thought.
Five officers and five civilians were wounded, he said.
Eyewitness, Abdullah said he heard one blast as he drove under a flyover bridge near the bus station, adding he saw people running away as cars and motorcycles sounded their horns.
On Wednesday night, heavily armed police cordoned off the area around the bus station with tape to hold back hundreds of onlookers while bomb disposal officers with protective suits examined the area.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None