- Title: British troops deployed to guard key locations in London
- Date: 24th May 2017
- Summary: LONDON, ENGLAND, UK (MAY 24, 2017) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF POLICE OFFICERS AND SOLDIER GUARDING MAIN GATE TO DOWNING STREET SOLDIER BEHIND GATE SOLDIER HOLDING A GUN STREET SIGN READING (English): "DOWNING STREET" VARIOUS OF SOLDIER AND POLICEMAN STANDING WITH GUNS TRAFFIC NEAR THE PALACE OF WESTMINSTER SOLDIER AND POLICEMAN TALKING VARIOUS OF THE PALACE OF WESTMINSTER BEHIND STEEL FENCE VARIOUS OF SOLDIER AND POLICE TALKING SOLDIER POLICE OFFICER TWO POLICE OFFICERS STANDING
- Embargoed: 7th June 2017 16:03
- Keywords: bombing security troops concert attack Manchester London army police
- Location: LONDON, ENGLAND, UK
- City: LONDON, ENGLAND, UK
- Country: United Kingdom
- Topics: Bombing (non-military),Conflicts/War/Peace
- Reuters ID: LVA0026I78I13
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: British troops were deployed in London on Wednesday (May 24) to guard key locations in the wake of Monday's (May 22) concert bombing in Manchester.
Britain's Home Secretary (Interior minister) Amber Rudd said up to 3,800 soldiers could be deployed on Britain's streets, taking on guard duties to free up police to focus on patrols and investigation. An initial deployment of 984 had been ordered, first in London and then elsewhere.
Soldiers were seen at the Houses of Parliament, Prime Minister Theresa May's Downing Street residence and at London police headquarters at New Scotland Yard.
The suicide bomber, 22-year-old Salman Abedi, was part of a network, Manchester's police chief Ian Hopkins said on Wednesday.
Britain increased its security threat level to "critical" from "severe" on Tuesday (May 23) following the attack, which killed at least 22 people attending a concert by U.S. singer Ariana Grande.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None