- Title: Al Shabaab bombing in Somali capital kills five, injures six
- Date: 24th May 2017
- Summary: MOGADISHU, SOMALIA (MAY 24, 2017) (REUTERS) ****WARNING CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** VARIOUS OF SCENE OF BLAST WITH DEAD BODIES BEING RETRIEVED VARIOUS OF DEBRIS IN ROAD SCENE OF BLAST WITH DEBRIS IN STREET AND CONTAINER BURNING IN BACKGROUND MEN USING PHONES TO LIGHT UP SOMETHING IN DEBRIS VARIOUS OF RESIDENTS RETRIEVING GOODS AND BELONGINGS FROM SCENE OF BLAST VARIOUS OF DEAD BODIES BEING RETRIEVED (SOUNDBITE) (Somali) SPOKESMAN FOR THE MOGADISHU MAYOR, ABDIFITAH OMAR HALANE, SAYING: "A suicide car exploded near the seaport, killed five people and wounded six others, we are currently conducting investigations and once we are done we shall give a final report." VARIOUS OF CONTAINER BURNING
- Embargoed: 7th June 2017 17:57
- Keywords: Al Shabaab blast Mogadishu Somalia
- Location: MOGADISHU, SOMALIA
- City: MOGADISHU, SOMALIA
- Country: Somalia
- Topics: Bombing (non-military),Conflicts/War/Peace
- Reuters ID: LVA0016I790ZR
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: A bombing claimed by Islamist insurgents killed five civilians and injured six more in the Somali capital on Wednesday (May 24), a spokesman for the city's mayor said, underscoring the militants' ability to carry out attacks despite territorial losses.
Bombings are a near-daily occurrence in Mogadishu. Most are claimed by the al Qaeda-linked al Shabaab militia, which is fighting to overthrow the weak U.N.-backed government and drive out the African Union peacekeeping force that supports it.
A Reuters reporter at the scene saw burnt bodies and a wrecked car near a damaged police checkpoint.
Since withdrawing from Mogadishu in 2011, al Shabaab has lost control of most of Somalia's cities and towns. But it still retains a strong presence in swathes of the south and centre.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None