- Title: Wenger says Arsenal are 'not favourites' in the FA Cup final against Chelsea
- Date: 24th May 2017
- Summary: LONDON COLNEY, NEAR LONDON, ENGLAND, UK (MAY 24, 2017) (REUTERS) (SOUNDBITE) (English) ARSENAL MANAGER ARSENE WENGER, TALKING ABOUT HIS TEAM'S DEFENSIVE PROBLEM, SAYING: "It's absolutely unbelievable and unpredictable, and we are hit hard in a position where we need to be strong on Saturday, but we'll have to find solutions hopefully, I will find the good solutions."
- Embargoed: 7th June 2017 12:13
- Keywords: Wenger Chelsea Arsenal FA Cup
- Location: LONDON COLNEY, NEAR LONDON, ENGLAND, UK; MANCHESTER, ENGLAND, UK
- City: LONDON COLNEY, NEAR LONDON, ENGLAND, UK; MANCHESTER, ENGLAND, UK
- Country: United Kingdom
- Topics: Soccer,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA0066I758AN
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Arsenal face a defensive crisis ahead of Saturday's (May 27) FA Cup final at Wembley Stadium against Chelsea with Gabriel ruled out with a knee injury and Laurent Koscielny suspended after being red-carded against Everton last weekend.
With Shkodran Mustafi also an injury doubt, manager Arsene Wenger is running out of central defensive options.
The only good news was that Brazil defender Gabriel's injury is not as bad as first feared when he was taken off on a stretcher in Sunday's league finale.
"It's unbelievable and unpredictable and we are hit hard in a position where we need to be strong on Saturday. We have to find solutions and hopefully I can find those solutions," said Wenger at the club's training ground near London on Wednesday (May 24).
Chelsea, fresh from winning the Premier League title, are likely to be favourites, said Wenger, but he is hoping that Arsenal will be able to reproduce the form they showed in the semi-final when they defeated Manchester City.
Wenger would not be drawn about whether the final could be his last match in charge of the club, saying that he only wanted to do well for the club by winning the trophy.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None