- Title: Spain Supreme Court ratifies Messi's prison sentence after appeal - media
- Date: 24th May 2017
- Summary: BARCELONA, SPAIN (FILE - JUNE 2016) (REUTERS) ***WARNING CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** VAN CARRYING LIONEL MESSI AND HIS FATHER JORGE MESSI (GREY HAIR, DARK GLASSES, WALKING IMMEDIATELY BEHIND HIS SON) ARRIVING AT COURT, MESSI AND HIS FATHER GETTING OUT OF THE VAN AND WALKING TO COURT ENTRANCE AND ENTERING COURT
- Embargoed: 7th June 2017 12:42
- Keywords: Barcelona Spain fraud court Lionel Messi
- Location: BARCELONA, SPAIN
- City: BARCELONA, SPAIN
- Country: Spain
- Topics: Soccer,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA0016I77TJB
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Spain's Supreme Court has ratified a 21-month prison sentence handed down to Argentine soccer star Lionel Messi for tax fraud following the Barcelona player's appeal, Spanish media reported on Wednesday citing unnamed sources.
The Supreme Court could not immediately confirm the reports.
Messi, and his father Jorge Horacio who received the same sentence, were also fined 2 million euros ($2.24 million) in a ruling in July last year.
Neither Messi nor his father are expected to serve time in jail, as under Spanish law sentences under two years can be served under probation.
($1 = 0.8945 euros)
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None