- Title: Facebook signs BuzzFeed, Vox, others for original video shows -sources
- Date: 24th May 2017
- Summary: MENLO PARK, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES (FILE) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF EXTERIOR OF FACEBOOK HEADQUARTERS LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM (FILE) (REUTERS) BUZZFEED LOGO ON WALL IN BUZZFEED'S LONDON OFFICE VARIOUS OF BUZZFEED OFFICE
- Embargoed: 7th June 2017 22:04
- Keywords: Buzz Feed Vox Media Facebook
- Location: UNIDENTIFIED LOCATION/SAN JOSE, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES/MENLO PARK, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES/LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM/INTERNET
- City: UNIDENTIFIED LOCATION/SAN JOSE, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES/MENLO PARK, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES/LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM/INTERNET
- Country: USA
- Topics: Company News Markets,Arts / Culture / Entertainment,Economic Events,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA0036I79V0N
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Facebook Inc. has signed deals with millennial-focused news and entertainment creators Vox Media and BuzzFeed among others to make shows for its upcoming video service, which will feature long and short-form content with ad breaks, according to several sources familiar with the situation.
Facebook is planning two tiers of video entertainment: scripted shows with episodes lasting 20 to 30 minutes, which it will own; and shorter scripted and unscripted shows with episodes lasting about 5 to 10 minutes, which Facebook will not own, according to the sources.
All of the sources asked to remain anonymous because the deals are confidential.
Facebook's move to acquire and license original content is the latest in its push to attract more advertising dollars, putting the company in head-to-head competition with Alphabet Inc's YouTube Red, Snapchat's Discover feature, and traditional television networks.
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None