- Title: Taiwan conducts annual Han Kuang military drills in outlying islands
- Date: 25th May 2017
- Summary: PENGHU, TAIWAN (MAY 25, 2017) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF APACHE HELICOPTERS FLYING APACHE HELICOPTERS FIRING ROCKETS INTO THE SEA TARGETS IN SEA APACHE HELICOPTERS FIRING ROCKETS MEDIA FILMING DRILLS MULTIPLE ROCKET LAUNCHER FIRING ROCKETS VARIOUS OF AMPHIBIOUS ARMOURED VEHICLE FIRING FROM SEA VARIOUS OF WARSHIPS MORE OF AMPHIBIOUS ARMOURED VEHICLES IN SEA SOLDIERS RIDING MOTORBIKES OUT OF CHINOOK HELICOPTER SOLDIER HOLDING ASSAULT RIFLE RIDING ON MOTORCYCLE SOLDIERS HOLDING ASSAULT RIFLE AND MACHINE GUNS RUNNING
- Embargoed: 8th June 2017 07:19
- Keywords: Han Kuang drills outlying islands annual military exercise Taiwan military drill
- Location: PENGHU, TAIWAN
- City: PENGHU, TAIWAN
- Country: Taiwan
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace
- Reuters ID: LVA0036IC60JP
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: **PART AUDIO QUALITY AS INCOMING**
Taiwan President Tsai Ing-wen observed the 33rd Han Kuang military exercise on Thursday (May 25), saying that she is the biggest backing of the island's national military.
Han Kuang is an annual exercise in which Taiwan's armed forces simulate a variety of scenarios throughout the island, including drills by land, air and sea. The main goal is to maintain combat readiness in case of a possible invasion by China.
China and Taiwan have been ruled separately since defeated Nationalist forces fled to the island at the end of a civil war with the Communists in 1949. China regards Taiwan as a renegade province and has never renounced the possibility of using force to bring Taiwan under its control.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None