- Title: G7 leaders arrive at summit in puppet form
- Date: 25th May 2017
- Summary: GIARDINI NAXOS, ITALY (MAY 25, 2017) (REUTERS) BUILDINGS ON HILLSIDE NEAR SUMMIT VENUE ARMED SOLDIER ON GUARD VARIOUS OF POLICE BOAT PATROLLING BAY VARIOUS OF ARMED SOLDIERS AND POLICE IN STREET VARIOUS OF OXFAM STUNT FEATURING SEVEN HEADS OF STATE SITTING AT TABLE BY SEA, EATING SPAGHETTI AND CHATTING ACTIVIST MASKED AS U.S. PRESIDENT DONALD TRUMP GIVING THUMBS UP ACTIVIST MASKED AS GERMAN CHANCELLOR ANGELA MERKEL EATING SPAGHETTI ACTIVISTS MASKED AS FRENCH PRESIDENT EMMANUEL MACRON AND JAPANESE PRIME MINISTER SHINZO ABE EATING SPAGHETTI BRITISH PRIME MINISTER THERESA MAY EATING SPAGHETTI VARIOUS OF ACTIVISTS MASKED AS G7 LEADERS EATING SPAGHETTI BANNER READING IN ENGLISH: "Hunger crisis hits 30 million people" ACTIVISTS MASKED AS G7 LEADERS EATING SPAGHETTI FROM HUGE PLATES (SOUNDBITE) (English) OXFAM SENIOR POLICY ADVISOR, ED CAIRNS, SAYING: "Oxfam is here at the G7 Summit in Sicily to highlight the fact that G7 leaders can do far, far more to tackle the unprecedented threat of famine across four countries. Thirty million people as the stunt says are already facing hunger in Nigeria, Yemen, South Sudan and Somalia. At the same time, according to our stunt, you see the G7 leaders eating spaghetti while hunger is facing those millions of people. The fact of the matter is that we calculated that G7 leaders should give 2.9 billion dollars to help prevent that famine." ACIREALE, ITALY (MAY 24, 2017) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF MAN-SIZED PUPPETS OF G7 LEADERS IN CENTRAL PIAZZA VARIOUS OF PUPPET DEPICTING TRUMP PUPPET DEPICTING CANADIAN PRIME MINISTER JUSTIN TRUDEAU PUPPET DEPICTING TRUMP VARIOUS OF PUPPETS DEPICTING G7 LEADERS PUPPET DEPICTING ABE PUPPETS DEPICTING G7 LEADERS PUPPET DEPICTING MERKEL AND TRUDEAU MAN TAKING PHOTOGRAPH OF PUPPETS PUPPETS IN CENTRAL SQUARE
- Embargoed: 8th June 2017 10:32
- Keywords: hunger Oxfam puppets Italy Trump security Taormina G7 summit
- Location: ACIREALE AND GIARDINI NAXOS, ITALY
- City: ACIREALE AND GIARDINI NAXOS, ITALY
- Country: Italy
- Topics: Diplomacy/Foreign Policy,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA0016IC5KQV
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Leaders from the world's seven major industrialised nations gathered in Sicily on Thursday (May 25), at least in puppet form.
Italy will host the G7 summit in Taormina, on the cliffs of eastern Sicily where leaders from Italy, United States, Japan, Germany, Britain, France and Canada will concentrate on Europe's migrant crisis and seek ways of developing Africa's economy to hold back the human tide. Other topics on the agenda will be Monday's (May 22) suicide bombing in Manchester, the six-year old Syrian conflict and North Korea's nuclear ambitions. Potential disagreements could come with debate on climate change and free trade.
On the eve of the summit, activists from the international aid agency Oxfam dressed as the G7 leaders close to the summit venue, showing the figures eating spaghetti from huge plates. The Oxfam spokesman called on the leaders to free up more money to help fight the hunger suffered by some thirty million people.
In Acireale, a small town some 43 kilometres (27 miles) away from Taormina, larger-than-life sized puppets of the G7 leaders have taken up position in the town square. The town is famed for its puppets particularly during carnival season.
Many of the G7 leaders including U.S. President Donald Trump will arrive for the summit on Thursday (May 25) evening.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None