- Title: Egypt holds funeral for Coptic Christians killed by masked gunmen
- Date: 26th May 2017
- Summary: MINYA, EGYPT (MAY 26, 2017) (REUTERS) EXTERIOR OF CENTRAL MAGHAGHA HOSPITAL AMBULANCE ARRIVING VARIOUS OF COFFINS CARRIED INTO VEHICLE FAMILIES IN VEHICLE FAMILIES EXTERIOR OF CHURCH CROSS CHURCH/MOURNERS VARIOUS OF MOURNERS WOMEN CRYING PEOPLE GATHERED FOR FUNERAL VARIOUS OF WOMEN IN FUNERAL (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) MOURNER, SAYING: "What more are we going to see from Sisi? What more are we going to see from him? What more is he going to do? Enough is enough." COFFINS PRIESTS AROUND COFFIN VARIOUS OF WOMEN CRYING COFFIN READING IN ARABIC: "MARTYR: EID ISHAK MAKARYOS" PRIEST PRAYING (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) MOURNING MAN, SAYING: ""Every day they kill us. Why is that? What have we done? What have we done? Every day they kill us. Are they going to kill us every day? Why is this happening? The Botroseya and those who were killed in Libya and then the monastery. What's happening? Where's the government? The police were standing outside and didn't want to enter [the site]." WOMAN SCREAMING VARIOUS OF CHRISTIANS CHANTING: "BLOOD AND SOUL WE WILL DEFEND THE CROSS" (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) MOURNING WOMAN, SAYING: "God will avenge us. God is the one who will avenge us. Those who died are our brothers. They're all our brothers. They aren't strangers to us. We're all one village and one family here." VARIOUS OF CHRISTIANS CHANTING: "BLOOD AND SOUL WE WILL DEFEND THE CROSS" (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) MOURNING MAN, SAYING: "The soldiers were beating the families. The officer has a cigarette in his mouth and is smiling. They have no idea." VARIOUS OF WOMEN CHANTING: "BLOOD AND SOUL WE WILL DEFEND THE CROSS" WOMEN MOURNING PROTEST CARRYING CROSSES WOMEN MARCHING VARIOUS OF FUNERAL
- Embargoed: 9th June 2017 21:42
- Keywords: gunmen attack Egypt Coptic Christians funeral
- Location: MINYA, EGYPT
- City: MINYA, EGYPT
- Country: Egypt
- Reuters ID: LVA0016IH8IFB
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Thousands attended a funeral service on Friday (May 26) for those killed in an attack after gunmen targeted a group of Coptic Christians traveling to a monastery in central Egypt, killing 28.
The funeral turned into an angry protest against what mourners said was the authorities' failure to protect Christians.
Eyewitnesses said masked men opened fire after stopping the Christians, who were in a bus and other vehicles on a desert road.
Local TV channels showed a bus apparently raked by gunfire and smeared with blood.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None