- Title: Egypt launches more air strikes after attack on Christians
- Date: 27th May 2017
- Summary: CAIRO, EGYPT (MAY 26, 2017) (REUTERS) VARIOUS EXTERIORS OF BASILIC CHURCH IN CAIRO CROSS OF BASILIC CHURCH MINYA, EGYPT (MAY 27, 2017) (REUTERS) (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) RELATIVE OF VICTIM, RAFAEL HANNA, SAYING: "We had three dead relatives in a hospital. When we went to the hospital we stayed from 1 p.m. until 5 p.m. The bodies arrived at the church and we stayed four hours until the bodies were given to us for burial. The head of security at the hospital and the police generals are telling us "what do you want us to do?". They have no consideration for how people are feeling. They have no consideration that we have people who died We kept telling them that they are waiting for us at the church because we will hold one funeral." CAIRO, EGYPT (MAY 26, 2017) (REUTERS) EXTERIOR OF CHURCH IN HELIOPOLIS DISTRICT, CAIRO VARIOUS OF STATUE OF CHRIST HOLDING CROSS MINYA, EGYPT (MAY 26, 2017) (ORIGINALLY 4:3) (REUTERS) (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) RELATIVE OF VICTIM, SAMY BEKHEET, SAYING: "They stopped the bus and shot the driver. They collected the gold and belongings of those in bus before asking for the ID cards to see if they are Christian or not. If they were Christian they were struck to the head." CAIRO, EGYPT (MAY 26, 2017) (REUTERS) STATUE OF CHRIST HOLDING CROSS ON CHURCH
- Embargoed: 10th June 2017 18:06
- Keywords: victims military strikes attack Coptic Christians Islamic State
- Location: UNKNOWN LOCATION / CAIRO / MINYA, EGYPT
- City: UNKNOWN LOCATION / CAIRO / MINYA, EGYPT
- Country: Egypt
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Insurgencies
- Reuters ID: LVA0026IM5YKN
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:PLEASE NOTE: QUALITY AS INCOMING
Egyptian air strikes over Libya have destroyed several camps that trained militants responsible for the Christian killings in Egypt on Friday (May 26), the Egyptian military has said.
On Friday, Egyptian fighter jets struck eastern Libya just hours after a shooting that killed 29 and wounded 24 in the southern Egyptian province of Minya when masked militants boarded vehicles en route to a monastery and opened fire at close range.
One family member of those killed, Rafael Hanna said the militants had separated passengers according to their faith before killing the Christians.
Another relative, Samy Bekheet complained of mistreatment by the security forces when trying to collect bodies for funeral arrangements.
Islamic State claimed responsibility for the attack, the latest directed at Egypt's increasingly embattled Christian minority following two church bombings last month that killed more than 45, also claimed by the group.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None