- Title: Scuffles break out, tear gas fired at end of G7 protest
- Date: 27th May 2017
- Summary: GIARDINI NAXOS, ITALY (MAY 27, 2017) (REUTERS) DEMONSTRATORS MARCHING TOWARD POLICE RIOT POLICE MOVING BACKWARD IN FORMATION DEMONSTRATORS WITH INTERLINKED ARMS APPROACHING RIOT POLICE / SCUFFLES BREAKING OUT AS RIOT POLICE ADVANCE ON DEMONSTRATORS / TEAR GAS SMOKING RISING AMID DEMONSTRATORS RIOT POLICE CHARGING AT DEMONSTRATORS TEAR GAS SMOKE RISING IN DISTANCE / PEOPLE JUMPING OVER STONE WALL DEMONSTRATORS CLIMBING OVER STONE WALL / TEAR GAS SMOKE RISING DEMONSTRATOR DRINKING WATER MEDIC ASSISTING MAN ON BEACH DEMONSTRATORS ON BEACH / TEAR GAS SMOKE RISING IN DISTANCE
- Embargoed: 10th June 2017 19:14
- Keywords: police teargas Giardini Naxos G7 protest scuffles Italy
- Location: GIARDINI NAXOS, ITALY
- City: GIARDINI NAXOS, ITALY
- Country: Italy
- Topics: G7,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA0016IM4XFR
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: A group of protesters sought to break through a police cordon at the end of a protest march against world leaders meeting on the island of Sicily on Saturday (May 27), scuffling with police, who fired tear gas to disperse them.
After hundreds of people had marched through the streets of the seaside town of Giardini Naxos, down the hill from where a Group of Seven meeting had been held, a smaller group of about 100 people peeled off from the pack and challenged riot police.
When they tried to flank them by running along the beach, police charged and fired tear gas. Protesters washed their eyes out with water and an ambulance appeared to take away at least one injured person.
Italy had massive security measures in place for the protesters who said world leaders ignored the interests of regular people.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None