- Title: Funeral held for victims of clashes in Libya
- Date: 27th May 2017
- Summary: TRIPOLI, LIBYA (MAY 27, 2017) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF BLACK SMOKE BILLOWING PEOPLE ATTENDING FUNERAL VARIOUS OF PEOPLE STANDING AROUND BODIES SEEN WRAPPED IN WHITE CLOTH BEFORE BURIAL HEAD OF THE U.N.-BACKED GOVERNMENT, FAYEZ SERAJ, ARRIVING AT FUNERAL SERAJ STANDING IN RANKS IN FRONT OF WRAPPED BODIES DURING FUNERAL FUNERAL PRAYERS COMMENCING VARIOUS OF SERAJ AT FUNERAL PRAYERS PEOPLE CARRYING BODIES TO BE BURIED
- Embargoed: 10th June 2017 18:51
- Keywords: Tripoli fighting clashes funeral violecne Libya
- Location: TRIPOLI, LIBYA
- City: TRIPOLI, LIBYA
- Country: Libya
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace
- Reuters ID: LVA0016IM605J
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: The head of Libya's U.N.-backed government Fayez Seraj attended the funeral of four people on Saturday (May 27) who died during clashes between rival factions in Tripoli.
The clashes erupted on Friday (May 26), as armed groups aligned with the U.N.-backed government fought to fend off a major offensive by rival Islamist-leaning forces and militia fighters.
At least 28 people were killed in the violence and more than 120 wounded, according to health officials
The Government of National Accord (GNA) has struggled to exert its authority in Tripoli and beyond, or rein in the militias that have held power on the ground in Libya since the country's 2011 uprising that toppled Muammar Gaddafi.
The clashes follow a period of relative calm in Tripoli since March, when GNA-aligned groups pushed rival factions back from central neighbourhoods.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None