- Title: Australian drug convict Schapelle Corby deported from Indonesia
- Date: 27th May 2017
- Summary: BALI, INDONESIA (MAY 27, 2017) (REUTERS) ****WARNING: CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** ENTRANCE TO BALI'S KUTA BEACH VARIOUS OF PEOPLE SUN BATHING AND SWIMMING AT KUTA BEACH VEHICLES TRAVELLING ALONG STREET FEMALE UNIDENTIFIED RESIDENT OF SAME NEIGHBOURHOOD AS SCHAPELLE CORBY (SOUNDBITE) (Balinese) FEMALE UNIDENTIFIED RESIDENT OF SAME NEIGHBOURHOOD AS SCHAPELLE CORBY, SAYING: "No she (Schapelle Corby) didn't socialise with the neighbours, but when my dog was sick she came and gave medicine." MALE UNIDENTIFIED RESIDENT OF SAME NEIGHBOURHOOD AS SCHAPELLE CORBY (SOUNDBITE) (Balinese) UNIDENTIFIED MALE RESIDENT OF SAME NEIGHBOURHOOD AS SCHAPELLE CORBY, SAYING: "No she (Schapelle Corby) never spoke to the neighbours or socialised. She only came out from her house to buy beers." VARIOUS OF EXTERIOR OF CORBY'S HOUSE MEDIA GATHERED OUTSIDE CORBY'S HOUSE VEHICLE ARRIVING AT CORBY'S HOUSE CAMERAMAN FILMING MEDIA OUTSIDE CORBY'S HOUSE POLICE ON TERRACE OF CORBY'S HOUSE CORBY (SCARF COVERING HEAD) AND HER SISTER MERCEDES (IN STRIPED TOP) BEING ESCORTED BY POLICE INTO VEHICLE CORBY AND HER SISTER ENTERING VEHICLE VARIOUS OF POLICE AND MEDIA FOLLOWING VEHICLE LEAVING THE NEIGHBOURHOOD VEHICLE ARRIVING AT PAROLE OFFICE / POLICE HOLDING MEDIA BACK POLICE OUTSIDE PAROLE OFFICE MEDIA OUTSIDE PAROLE OFFICE VARIOUS OF CORBY AND HER SISTER LEAVING PAROLE OFFICE AND GETTING IN CAR / DRIVING AWAY EXTERIOR OF NGURAH RAI INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT AUSTRALIAN TOURISTS WALKING THROUGH AIRPORT (SOUNDBITE) (English) BRISBANE RESIDENT, ROWINNA, SAYING: "She's paid long enough. Whether she's guilty or innocent, she's been here a long time." ROWINNA AND FAMILY HEADING TO DEPARTURE LOUNGE POLICE TRUCK OUTSIDE AIRPORT POLICE GETTING OUT OF TRUCK POLICE STANDING OUTSIDE AIRPORT DEPARTURE GATE PEOPLE QUEUING TO ENTER DEPARTURE AREA CHECK-IN COUNTERS PEOPLE QUEUING AT AIRPORT
- Embargoed: 10th June 2017 14:38
- Keywords: Australia security parole prison drugs jail Bali Schapelle Corby deported police
- Location: BALI, INDONESIA
- City: BALI, INDONESIA
- Country: Indonesia
- Topics: Crime/Law/Justice,Crime
- Reuters ID: LVA0016IM5HZB
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Australian drug convict Schapelle Corby was deported from the Indonesian island of Bali on Saturday night (May 27) after completing a twelve-and-a-half-year sentence for smuggling marijuana, a case that strained ties between the neighbouring countries.
Corby has always maintained her innocence, saying she was unaware she was carrying more than 4 kg. (8.8 lb.) of marijuana in a boogie board bag when she arrived on the resort island in late 2004.
The case received huge media attention, with many Australians feeling the former beauty therapist had been harshly treated under Indonesia's strict drug laws, even though Corby could have faced the death penalty for trafficking.
Corby was accompanied by her sister Mercedes as she left her house in Bali, then made a last visit to the parole office before travelling to the airport.
Corby's sentence was later cut after a request for clemency to then president Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono and she was released on parole in 2014.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None