- Title: EU executive says Poland's minister misrepresents dispute
- Date: 29th May 2017
- Summary: BRUSSELS, BELGIUM (FILE) (REUTERS) VARIOUS EXTERIORS OF EU COMMISSION BUILDING
- Embargoed: 12th June 2017 13:04
- Keywords: rule of law Waszczykowski Timmermans Poland Commission EU
- Location: BRUSSELS, BELGIUM
- City: BRUSSELS, BELGIUM
- Country: Belgium
- Topics: European Union,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA0016IW5MBD
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: The European Union's executive on Monday (May 29) accused Poland's Foreign Minister Witold Waszczykowski of misrepresenting the nature of the spat between Warsaw and Brussels over rule of law.
Waszczykowski was quoted as saying over the weekend by Politico that the European Commission's deputy head, Frans Timmermans, was waging a "a personal crusade" against the eurosceptic, nationalist-minded government in Warsaw.
Commission spokesman Margaritis Schinas told a regular briefing that the Commission was acting as 'the guardian of the treaties' linking together the 28 members of the bloc.
He also called on all EU government officials not to misrepresent the Commission's role in the functioning of the European Union.
Timmermans is leading an unprecedented investigation into whether the Polish government is infringing on the rule of law and democratic checks and balances.
He received backing from other EU states to pursue his efforts, though they have failed to force a change in Warsaw so far.
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None