- Title: Russia's resort city of Sochi opens beach season with wild carnival
- Date: 29th May 2017
- Summary: (SOUNDBITE) (Russian) SOCHI MAYOR, ANATOLY PAKHOMOV, SAYING: "Today our main goal is the ideal condition of the beaches. And after recent rains and storms we have to plan and, of course, to install equipment on the beaches - sun beds and parasols, changing rooms and toilets, cafes and restaurants - and it all will be done at the highest level and we need some 10 days for that." VARIOUS OF TRACTOR ON BEACH WORKER BUILDING TERRACE CHILD ON BEACH PEOPLE WALKING ON PROMENADE MEAT ON GRILL RESTAURANT WITH SEA VIEW BEACH WOMAN ON SWING PEOPLE ON BEACH, SOCHI OLYMPIC STADIUM SEEN IN BACKGROUND PEOPLE FISHING, BOAT IN BACKGROUND
- Embargoed: 12th June 2017 11:12
- Keywords: carnival resort Black Sea Sochi holiday beach season Russia
- Location: SOCHI, RUSSIA
- City: SOCHI, RUSSIA
- Country: Russia
- Topics: Arts / Culture / Entertainment,Living / Lifestyle,Society/Social Issues
- Reuters ID: LVA0036IW4UNT
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Russian Black Sea resort city of Sochi celebrated the beginning of the holiday season with a bright carnival on Sunday (May 29).
Costumed carnival participants marched along one of the Sochi streets welcoming tourists from across Russia and abroad.
Among those taking part in the colourful procession was the 2018 World Cup mascot - a wolf called Zabivaka. The wolf lead a moving platform celebrating Sochi as a city of sport events.
Sochi hosted the 2014 Winter Olympic Games and is getting ready to host the 2017 Confederations Cup and 2018 World Cup.
According to Sochi mayor Anatoly Pakhomov, the city expects to welcome over four million tourists during the summer months this year with over 95 percent of hotel rooms being already booked till October.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None