- Title: At least two dead as Greek passenger train derails
- Date: 14th May 2017
- Summary: ADENDRO, GREECE (MAY 13, 2017) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF DERAILED TRAIN CARRIAGE RAMMED INTO GROUND FLOOR OF TWO-STOREY HOUSE IT CRASHED INTO BEHIND POLICE CORDON RESCUE WORKERS AND FIREFIGHTER AT SCENE/ PART OF TRAIN RESCUE WORKERS LOOKING AT HOUSE AND TRAIN CARRIAGE EMBEDDED IN HOUSE FIREFIGHTERS LOOKING THROUGH RUBBLE VARIOUS OF DEBRIS FROM CRASH RESCUE WORKERS/ DEBRIS FIREFIGHTERS/ LADDER LEANING ON DERAILED TRAIN CARRIAGE RESCUE WORKERS WALKING PAST TRAIN CARRIAGE DERAILED TRAIN CARRIAGE AND HOUSE BEHIND POLICE CORDON
- Embargoed: 28th May 2017 03:29
- Keywords: rescue firefighters derail train greece
- Location: ADENDRO, GREECE
- City: ADENDRO, GREECE
- Country: Greece
- Topics: Ground Accidents/Collisions,Disaster/Accidents
- Reuters ID: LVA0026GT7IVB
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: At least two people died and seven more were injured when a train derailed in northern Greece on Saturday night and ripped through a house, authorities said.
The train carrying 70 passengers was heading from Athens to the second-biggest city of Thessaloniki when it derailed in the town of Adendro, some 37 km (23 miles) away, railway company TRAINOSE said. The cause of the accident was not yet known.
One carriage crashed into the ground floor of a two-storey house while others toppled onto their sides, their windows smashed.
The driver was in critical condition, TRAINOSE said.
The fire brigade and the head of the National Emergency Service said two people were killed. Earlier, in a statement on its website, TRAINOSE had said four people died in the crash. It later removed that reference.
Some media said five carriages had derailed.
At least 12 fire trucks were deployed to the area, the fire brigade said, in a rescue operation which lasted into the night.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None