- Title: Generations of Baywatch stars celebrate iconic TV showâ€™s silver screen revamp
- Date: 14th May 2017
- Summary: MIAMI, FLORIDA, UNITED STATES (MAY 13, 2017) (REUTERS) TIGHT OF NEW CJ PARKER, NOW PLAYED BY KELLY ROHRBACH, WALKING PAST ORIGINAL ACTRESS PAMELA ANDERSON (MUTE) (SOUNDBITE) (ENGLISH) ACTRESS KELLY ROHRBACH, SAYING: "These girls are professionals they're lifeguards and they're super athletic and tough and they're on top of their game and I think that is what feminism is, is just owning what you are." MID OF BAYWATCH FAN CROWD (MUTE) TIGHT OF BAYWATCH FAN CROWD (MUTE) MID OF PAMELA ANDERSON (MUTE) (SOUNDBITE) (ENGLISH) ACTRESS ALEXANDRA DADDARIO, SAYING: "I'm very tough and my character really knows what she wants and we don't let boys distract us and I think that was sort of what we focused on in creating these characters." TIGHT OF ACTRESS PRIYANKA CHOPRA GIVING INTERVIEW (MUTE) MID OF FANS HOLDING UP SIGNS FOR PRIYANKA CHOPRA (MUTE) (SOUNDBITE) (ENGLISH) ACTRESS PRIYANKA CHOPRA, SAYING: "I think it was something that was very important to (director) Seth (Gordon) but that should be our normal, like it should not be something that we try to achieve and I'm so glad we've been able to achieve that in the movie."
- Embargoed: 28th May 2017 03:54
- Keywords: series beach lifeguards red carpet celebrities premiere movie Baywatch
- Location: MIAMI, FLORIDA, UNITED STATES / UNIDENTIFIED FILM LOCATION
- City: MIAMI, FLORIDA, UNITED STATES / UNIDENTIFIED FILM LOCATION
- Country: USA
- Topics: Arts / Culture / Entertainment,Government/Politics,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA00A6GT77T9
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: The actors who starred in the original, iconic "Baywatch" TV series were on hand to pass the torch to a new generation as Paramount premiered the big screen revamp of the beach hit in Miami on Saturday (May 13).
Producer and star Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson said what made the original show work was how realistic and serious the original lifeguard action was and that that was important to maintain while updating the script.
Actor David Hasselhoff, who played a key role in the original series, meanwhile, acknowledged that changing times led to a changed Baywatch, but one that he was happy to see that it includes "today's humor."
Yet for Johnson's costar Zac Efron, he said part of the challenge of the film was taking on the heroic task of try to match physiques with Johnson, who's as famous for his calorie-packed diet and his intense work out regime as he is for his time as professional wrestler "The Rock."
Writers said the screenplay while action packed and serious in the life guard aspects had to maintain the fun and flash of the original TV show.
Actors say a large part of the new Baywatch boasts both strength and diversity and its female characters by comparison to the original show that aired from 1989 to 2001.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None