- Title: Generations of Baywatch stars celebrate iconic TV showâ€™s silver screen revamp
- Date: 14th May 2017
- Summary: FANS NEAR BAYWATCH VOLLEYBALL COURT WIDE OF FANS AROUND VOLLEYBALL COURT
- Embargoed: 28th May 2017 03:54
- Keywords: series beach lifeguards red carpet celebrities premiere movie Baywatch
- Location: MIAMI, FLORIDA, UNITED STATES / UNIDENTIFIED FILM LOCATION
- City: MIAMI, FLORIDA, UNITED STATES / UNIDENTIFIED FILM LOCATION
- Country: USA
- Topics: Arts / Culture / Entertainment,Government/Politics,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA0056GT77T9
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: The actors who starred in the original, iconic "Baywatch" TV series were on hand to pass the torch to a new generation as Paramount premiered the big screen revamp of the beach hit in Miami on Saturday (May 13).
Producer and star Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson said what made the original show work was how realistic and serious the original lifeguard action was and that that was important to maintain while updating the script.
Actor David Hasselhoff, who played a key role in the original series, meanwhile, acknowledged that changing times led to a changed Baywatch, but one that he was happy to see that it includes "today's humor."
Yet for Johnson's costar Zac Efron, he said part of the challenge of the film was taking on the heroic task of try to match physiques with Johnson, who's as famous for his calorie-packed diet and his intense work out regime as he is for his time as professional wrestler "The Rock."
Writers said the screenplay while action packed and serious in the life guard aspects had to maintain the fun and flash of the original TV show.
Actors say a large part of the new Baywatch boasts both strength and diversity and its female characters by comparison to the original show that aired from 1989 to 2001.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.