- Title: Generations of Baywatch stars celebrate iconic TV showâ€™s silver screen revamp
- Date: 14th May 2017
- Summary: MIAMI, FLORIDA, UNITED STATES (MAY 13, 2017) (REUTERS) ****WARNING CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** TIGHT OF "BAYWATCH" STAR AND PRODUCER DWAYNE JOHNSON (MUTE) TIGHT OF "BAYWATCH" STAR AND PRODUCER DWAYNE JOHNSON (MUTE) (SOUNDBITE) (ENGLISH) DWAYNE JOHNSON, SAYING: "I think the number one that I wanted to preserve that David Hasselhoff made famous was just how serious he took his job and I think that's important and being a lifeguard is no joke -- these guys are well trained and highly proficient so I think the idea of taking my job serious in a world that's rated R and that's often absurd and I've called us the avengers of the beach we're just really dysfunctional. I think as long as it's grounded in 'I really take this job seriously' we got a shot to be funny."
- Embargoed: 28th May 2017 03:54
- Keywords: series beach lifeguards red carpet celebrities premiere movie Baywatch
- Location: MIAMI, FLORIDA, UNITED STATES / UNIDENTIFIED FILM LOCATION
- City: MIAMI, FLORIDA, UNITED STATES / UNIDENTIFIED FILM LOCATION
- Country: USA
- Topics: Arts / Culture / Entertainment,Government/Politics,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA0046GT77T9
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: The actors who starred in the original, iconic "Baywatch" TV series were on hand to pass the torch to a new generation as Paramount premiered the big screen revamp of the beach hit in Miami on Saturday (May 13).
Producer and star Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson said what made the original show work was how realistic and serious the original lifeguard action was and that that was important to maintain while updating the script.
Actor David Hasselhoff, who played a key role in the original series, meanwhile, acknowledged that changing times led to a changed Baywatch, but one that he was happy to see that it includes "today's humor."
Yet for Johnson's costar Zac Efron, he said part of the challenge of the film was taking on the heroic task of try to match physiques with Johnson, who's as famous for his calorie-packed diet and his intense work out regime as he is for his time as professional wrestler "The Rock."
Writers said the screenplay while action packed and serious in the life guard aspects had to maintain the fun and flash of the original TV show.
Actors say a large part of the new Baywatch boasts both strength and diversity and its female characters by comparison to the original show that aired from 1989 to 2001.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None