- Title: LGBT teens from across the U.S. celebrate LA 'Queer Prom'
- Date: 14th May 2017
- Summary: ARCH MADE OF RAINBOW COLORED BALLOONS CROWNS FOR PROM COURT ON TABLE, ON TOP OF RAINBOW COLORED SASHES
- Embargoed: 28th May 2017 07:10
- Keywords: prom bisexual transgender LGBT queer lesbian Hollywood gay Los Angeles
- Location: LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES
- City: LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES
- Country: USA
- Topics: Arts / Culture / Entertainment,Human Interest / Brights / Odd News,Society/Social Issues,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA0036GT5XZT
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: High school students danced the night away on Saturday night (May 13) at a star-studded "Queer Prom" in Hollywood.
High school prom is a rite of passage for American teens. But, according to BuzzFeed, many lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender (LGBT) high school students are discouraged or forbidden from attending their school's formal dances with their chosen dates.
To help them feel included, the online media company threw its first ever "Queer Prom," inviting students from across the United States, as well as local schools.
Instead of a typical Prom King and Queen, a prom 'court' was appointed, made up of students Buzzfeed flew in to Los Angeles for the special night.
"I really feel like it sends a message that love trumps hate and that when we're here supporting one another, we can get through anything," said Sage Green, from Janesville, Wisconsin, who attended prom with her date Caitlin Heerey.
Among the celebrity guests was singer Adam Lambert, who applauded the decision to hold the prom.
"In certain areas of our country, I mean, this is not an option for people, or if even if it is, they might not feel comfortable. And I think the event tonight is a real safe space and it's here to celebrate all the beautiful colors that we all are," he said.
The prom was hosted by BuzzFeed's Eugene Yang, who crowned the members of the prom court at the end of the evening.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.