- Title: At least five people injured at anti-mutiny march in Ivory Coast - witness
- Date: 14th May 2017
- Summary: WOUNDS ON SORO'S BACK
- Embargoed: 28th May 2017 16:43
- Keywords: wounded hospital military protest soldiers Bouake mutiny Ivory coast
- Location: BOUAKE, IVORY COAST
- City: BOUAKE, IVORY COAST
- Country: Ivory Coast
- Reuters ID: LVA0026GT8ZT3
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:At least five people were wounded by gunfire on Sunday (May 14) during protests in Ivory Coast's second-biggest city, Bouake, against an army mutiny, according to a witness, as popular opposition to the revolt gathered momentum.
Mutinous soldiers have now opened up access to the city, a leader of the uprising and Bouake residents said, allowing vehicles to move in and out for the first time since Friday (May 12).
Heavy gunfire erupted in Bouake's city centre early on Sunday as the soldiers sought to disperse crowds of residents who were attempting to organise a march against the mutiny. One of the wounded said the mutineers had shot at the protesting crowd.
The mutiny began in Bouake and spread quickly to other cities and towns, mirroring an uprising by the same group in January that paralysed parts of Ivory Coast.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None