- Title: Cannes festival security has 'never been higher' - regional governor
- Date: 16th May 2017
- Summary: CANNES, FRANCE (MAY 16, 2017) (REUTERS) EXTERIOR OF PALAIS DES FESTIVALS CANNES FILM POSTER METAL DETECTOR MACHINES OUTSIDE PALAIS DES FESTIVALS POLICE VAN DRIVING PAST CANNES FILM FESTIVAL POSTER FILM FESTIVAL POSTER ON A SCREEN / NEWS CONFERENCE IN PROGRESS (SOUNDBITE) (French) ALPES-MARITIMES REGIONAL GOVERNOR, GEORGES-FRANCOIS LECLERC, SAYING: "We can say that the level of security of the Cannes film festival has never been higher, it's legitimate because the threat level has never been so high." NEWS CONFERENCE IN PROGRESS (SOUNDBITE) (French) CANNES FILM FESTIVAL PRESIDENT, PIERRE LESCURE, SAYING: "There was no particular security demand from stars that you mentioned or their staff." NEWS CONFERENCE IN PROGRESS (SOUNDBITE) (French) ALPES-MARITIMES REGIONAL GOVERNOR, GEORGES-FRANCOIS LECLERC, SAYING: "Obviously, for festival-goers, it will be a bit more complicated than last year, they will be inspected more." PEOPLE WALKING OUTSIDE PALAIS DES FESTIVALS PEOPLE WALKING ON STREET VARIOUS OF POLICE OFFICERS POLICE VAN DRIVING ALONG LA CROISETTE PROMENADE
- Embargoed: 30th May 2017 14:37
- Keywords: security Cannes film festival film
- Location: CANNES, FRANCE
- City: CANNES, FRANCE
- Country: France
- Topics: Arts / Culture / Entertainment,Film,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA0016H365HJ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Security at the Cannes film festival has 'never been higher', the Alpes-Maritimes regional governor said at a news conference on Tuesday (May 16).
Georges-Francois Leclerc made the comments alongside the film festival's president, Pierre Lescure, who said that no celebrities had made any "particular security demands".
The festival, which begins on Wednesday (May 17), is the first since the attack in nearby Nice last July, when a Tunisian man drove a 19-tonne truck into a crowd celebrating Bastille Day on the promenade, killing at least 80 people.
France has been under a state of emergency since November 2015 when coordinated gun and bomb attacks in Paris killed 130 people and wounded 368. Just last month, a policeman was shot dead in central Paris - the most recent in a string of attacks claimed by Islamist militants.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None