- Title: Palestinians mark 'Nakba' Day in West Bank and Gaza
- Date: 15th May 2017
- Summary: PROTESTERS MARCHING AND CARRYING LARGE MAP (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) HAMAS OFFICIAL, ISMAIL RADWAN, SAYING: "Our message in the 69th anniversary of the catastrophe of our Palestinian people is that we are holding tight to the rights of our people - Jerusalem, the right of return, which is an individual and collective right, a holy right that no one will let go of whoever he was." RAMALLAH, WEST BANK (MAY 15, 2017) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF PALESTINIAN STANDING STILL AS SIREN SOUNDS TO COMMEMORATE 'NAKBA' SIGN READING (Arabic): "TO THE FREEDOM AND HONOUR OF OUR HERO PRISONERS" PEOPLE WALKING PAST CLOSED SHOPS, DURING STRIKE IN SOLIDARITY WITH HUNGER-STRIKING PALESTINIAN PRISONERS IN ISRAELI JAILS LOCK ON SHOP'S DOOR VARIOUS OF YOUTHS MARCHING WITH PALESTINIAN FLAGS
- Embargoed: 29th May 2017 13:56
- Keywords: violence clashes demosntrations Gaza West Bank Nakba Day Palestinians Israel
- Location: BETHLEHEM, RAMALLAH, NEAR RAMALLAH, WEST BANK / GAZA CITY, GAZA
- City: BETHLEHEM, RAMALLAH, NEAR RAMALLAH, WEST BANK / GAZA CITY, GAZA
- Country: Palestinian Territories
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace
- Reuters ID: LVA0036GY9553
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Palestinians across the West Bank and Gaza on Monday (May 15) marked "Nakba" day, commemorating what they term "the catastrophe" of Israel's founding in the 1948 war, when hundreds of thousands of their brethren fled or were forced to leave their homes.
In the West Bank city of Bethlehem and near Ramallah, hundreds of youths clashes with Israeli security forces. In Ramallah city, people stood still as a siren was heard.
In Gaza, dozens of youths marched holding flags and symbolic keys representing houses from which their ancestors fled in 1948.
The refugees that fled during the 1948 war and their descendants now number around five million. Many live as refugees in Lebanon, Syria, Jordan, the Gaza Strip and the West Bank, often in squalid camps. Refugees cling to a "right of return" and their fate is one of the thorniest issues in efforts to create a Palestinian state.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None