- Title: Palestinians mark 'Nakba' Day in West Bank and Gaza
- Date: 15th May 2017
- Summary: GAZA CITY, GAZA (MAY 15, 2017) (REUTERS) PALESTINIAN FLAGS VARIOUS OF PALESTINIANS MARCHING, HOLDING PALESTINIAN FLAGS AND PLACARDS MAN CARRYING SIGN SHAPED AS KEY WITH CAPTION READING IN ARABIC "WE RETURN PALESTINE" PROTESTERS MARCHING AND HOLDING LARGE PALESTINIAN FLAG
- Embargoed: 29th May 2017 13:56
- Keywords: violence clashes demosntrations Gaza West Bank Nakba Day Palestinians Israel
- Location: BETHLEHEM, RAMALLAH, NEAR RAMALLAH, WEST BANK / GAZA CITY, GAZA
- City: BETHLEHEM, RAMALLAH, NEAR RAMALLAH, WEST BANK / GAZA CITY, GAZA
- Country: Palestinian Territories
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace
- Reuters ID: LVA0026GY9553
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Palestinians across the West Bank and Gaza on Monday (May 15) marked "Nakba" day, commemorating what they term "the catastrophe" of Israel's founding in the 1948 war, when hundreds of thousands of their brethren fled or were forced to leave their homes.
In the West Bank city of Bethlehem and near Ramallah, hundreds of youths clashes with Israeli security forces. In Ramallah city, people stood still as a siren was heard.
In Gaza, dozens of youths marched holding flags and symbolic keys representing houses from which their ancestors fled in 1948.
The refugees that fled during the 1948 war and their descendants now number around five million. Many live as refugees in Lebanon, Syria, Jordan, the Gaza Strip and the West Bank, often in squalid camps. Refugees cling to a "right of return" and their fate is one of the thorniest issues in efforts to create a Palestinian state.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.