- Title: New U.S. envoy to Israel kicks off appointment at Western Wall
- Date: 15th May 2017
- Summary: JERUSALEM (MAY 15, 2017) (REUTERS) ***WARNING CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** NEW UNITED STATES AMBASSADOR TO ISRAEL, DAVID FRIEDMAN, ARRIVING AT WESTERN WALL THE SITE'S PRESIDING RABBI, SHMUEL RABINOVITCH, ACCOMPANYING FRIEDMAN VARIOUS OF RABINOVITCH SHOWING FRIEDMAN BOOK VISITORS AT SITE FRIEDMAN KISSING THE WALL VARIOUS OF FRIEDMAN PRAYING AT WESTERN WALL VARIOUS OF FRIEDMAN LEAVING SITE
- Embargoed: 29th May 2017 19:05
- Keywords: Israel Western Wall Jerusalem U.S ambassador David Friedman appointment
- Location: JERUSALEM
- City: JERUSALEM
- Country: Israel
- Topics: Diplomacy/Foreign Policy,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA0016GYAKHZ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:The United States' new ambassador to Israel, David Friedman, arrived in Jerusalem on Monday (May 15) and immediately paid a visit to the Western Wall, the main Jewish holy site in the Old City.
Friedman, a longtime friend of U.S. President Donald Trump, has contributed financially towards Israeli settlements in the occupied West Bank.
Trump will visit the region in a week's time.
The new envoy will officially take up his role when he presents his credentials to Israeli President Reuven Rivlin on Tuesday. His visit to the holy site as a first gesture is thought to be unprecedented among diplomats to Israel.
Friedman was escorted to the wall by the site's presiding rabbi, he then kissed one of its ancient stones for a few seconds and recited prayers from a book as dozens of people watched.
Friedman has previously said the U.S. embassy should be moved there from Tel Aviv.
Israel says all of Jerusalem is its eternal, indivisible capital but the United States and other world powers do not regard it as Israel's capital and their embassies are located in Tel Aviv.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None