- Title: South Korea says the North's claim of missile progress needs analysis
- Date: 15th May 2017
- Summary: SEOUL, SOUTH KOREA (FILE - APRIL 27, 2017) (REUTERS) EXTERIOR OF SOUTH KOREAN DEFENCE MINISTRY SOUTH KOREAN NATIONAL FLAG (CENTRE) AND MILITARY FLAGS
- Embargoed: 29th May 2017 04:11
- Keywords: newspaper KCNA Kim Jong Un South Korea reactions missile North Korea
- Location: SEOUL, SOUTH KOREA
- City: SEOUL, SOUTH KOREA
- Country: South Korea
- Topics: Defence,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA0026GY7SXZ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: South Koreans were unnerved by yet another ballistic missile test launched by North Korea after the hermit state said it had successfully conducted a newly developed mid-to-long range missile test on Monday (May 15).
The North's official KCNA (Korean Central News Agency) news agency reported the test on Sunday (May 14) was supervised by leader Kim Jong Un and was aimed at verifying the capability to carry a "large scale heavy nuclear warhead".
The missile was launched at the highest angle so as not to affect the security of neighbouring countries and flew 787 kilometres (490 miles) reaching an altitude of 2,111.5 kilometres (1,312 miles), KCNA said.
South Korea's military said on Monday more analysis is needed to verify North Korea's claim that it achieved technical advancement during Sunday's test-launch of a ballistic missile.
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None