- Title: Parisians say they wish new President Macron good luck
- Date: 15th May 2017
- Summary: PARIS, FRANCE (MAY 15, 2017) (REUTERS) SKYLINE "LE RONSARD" CAFE COUPLE SITTING AT CAFE TABLE SUBWAY ENTRANCE / NEWSPAPER KIOSK LARGE ADVERT FOR FRENCH MAGAZINE "PARIS MATCH" WITH HEADLINE READING (French): "Emmanuel Macron president, hope has won" (SOUNDBITE) (French) RETIRED 69-YEAR-OLD, MARIELLE BROUARD, SAYING: "Well first of all I am delighted because he is young and we have to make way for the young. And I am expecting there to be change because we have always had right- or left-wing presidents but who had politics which were pretty much identical, sometimes abandoning their own ideas, and I think it's a shame. I think that this young man, who could be my son, I think he will embody renewal and a new hope for France." KIOSK WITH MAGAZINES AND NEWSPAPERS
- Embargoed: 29th May 2017 09:40
- Keywords: Paris reaction French president election France Emmanuel Macron
- Location: PARIS, FRANCE
- City: PARIS, FRANCE
- Country: France
- Topics: Government/Politics,Elections/Voting
- Reuters ID: LVA0016GY8B47
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:People on the streets of Paris were enthusiastic on Monday (May 15) about the prospects of youthful new French President Emmanuel Macron, who officially took office on Sunday.
69-year-old Marielle Brouard said she was glad to see someone young elected and hoped for change, but Thibault Lelandais, 29, told Reuters TV that he thought the new president would not make much difference.
Macron overcame the odds to win the election, saying he could unite a divided nation.
He is expected to announce his pick for prime minister later on Monday, a choice which will be subject to scrutiny as his new political party looks to June's parliamentary elections to secure a workable majority.
In a first for the world's fifth largest economy that is a founding member of the European Union, the 39-year-old centrist newcomer was unknown to the wider public three years ago and does not belong to any traditional political grouping.
The former investment banker became the youngest postwar French leader and the first to be born after 1958 when President Charles de Gaulle put in place the country's fifth Republic.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None