- Title: China's Xi says Belt and Road needs to reject protectionism
- Date: 15th May 2017
- Summary: BEIJING, CHINA (MAY 15, 2017) (HOST BROADCASTER POOL) ***WARNING CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** INTERIOR OF ROUNDTABLE SUMMIT ROOM FOR BELT AND ROAD FORUM VARIOUS OF LEADERS AND DELEGATES WALKING IN LEADERS AND DELEGATES TAKING THEIR SEATS MYANMAR STATE COUNSELOR AUNG SAN SUU KYI LISTENING (SOUNDBITE) (Mandarin) CHINESE PRESIDENT, XI JINPING, SAYING: "We must have a spirit of partnership, firmly adhere to joint consultation, joint construction and sharing, and make policy coordination, facilities connectivity, unimpeded trade, financial integration and people-to-people bonds our common goals. We must adhere to cooperation in opening up, achieving win-win in cooperation, not walling ourselves up, not establishing high threshold, not making exclusive arrangements, and opposing protectionism." LEADERS LISTENING (SOUNDBITE) (Mandarin) CHINESE PRESIDENT, XI JINPING, SAYING: "In a time of countries being interdependent, and global threats flaring up all the time, no country has the ability to stay unaffected nor can it solve the problems the world faces on its own." ROUNDTABLE SUMMIT IN PROGRESS, PEOPLE APPLAUDING EXTERIOR OF SUMMIT VENUE (FROM LEFT) VIETNAMESE PRESIDENT TRAN DAI QUANG, XI, AND RUSSIAN PRESIDENT VLADIMIR PUTIN WALKING OUT OF VENUE LEADERS WALKING OUT OF VENUE XI AND PUTIN STANDING MEDIA, LEADERS AND DELEGATES GATHERING FOR PHOTO OPPORTUNITY LEADERS AND DELEGATES STANDING FOR PHOTO OPPORTUNITY LEADERS AND DELEGATES WAVING MEDIA STANDING IN FRONT OF LEADERS AND DELEGATES AS THEY WALK AWAY LEADERS AND DELEGATES WALKING AWAY
- Embargoed: 29th May 2017 06:42
- Keywords: Xi Jinping protectionism Belt and Road One Belt One Road Silk Road China
- Location: BEIJING, CHINA
- City: BEIJING, CHINA
- Country: China
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA0016GY7UIV
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Chinese President Xi Jinping urged major multilateral institutions to join his new Belt and Road Initiative on Monday (May 15) while addressing other world leaders at a summit for the initiative in Beijing, stressing the importance of rejecting protectionism in seeking global economic growth.
After his speech, Xi and other attending leaders took part in a family photo before their second round table summit, which convenes this afternoon.
Xi pledged $124 billion on Sunday (May 14) for his new Silk Road which aims to bolster China's global leadership ambitions by expanding links between Asia, Africa, Europe and beyond, as U.S. President Donald Trump promotes "America First".
Leaders from 29 countries attended the Belt and Road forum, as well as the heads of the United Nations, International Monetary Fund and World Bank. But some Western diplomats have expressed unease about both the summit and the plan as a whole, seeing it as an attempt to promote Chinese influence globally. They are also concerned about transparency and access for foreign firms to the scheme.
- Copyright Holder: POOL (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None