- Title: German Holocaust denier Horst Mahler arrested in Hungary
- Date: 16th May 2017
- Summary: KARLSRUHE, GERMANY (FILE - MARCH 18, 2003) (ORIGINALLY 4:3) (REUTERS) ***WARNING CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** EXTERIOR OF GERMAN CONSTITUTIONAL COURT NPD LEADER AT THE TIME, UDO VOIGT AND NPD LAWYER AT THE TIME HORST MAHLER MAHLER SPEAKING MEDIA/ EAGLE OF JUSTICE ON THE WALL BERLIN, GERMANY (FILE - OCTOBER 3, 2001) (ORIGINALLY 4:3) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF MAHLER TAKING PART IN PROTEST AGAINST A DECISION MADE AT THE TIME TO STOP MAHLER FROM SPEAKING AT AN NPD DEMONSTRATION POLICE DURING NPD DEMONSTRATION
- Embargoed: 30th May 2017 15:21
- Keywords: Hungary arrest German Horst Mahler denier Holocaust neo-Nazi
- Location: KARLSRUHE AND BERLIN, GERMANY
- City: KARLSRUHE AND BERLIN, GERMANY
- Country: Germany
- Topics: Crime/Law/Justice,Judicial Process/Court Cases/Court Decisions
- Reuters ID: LVA0016H39Y6F
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: THIS EDIT CONTAINS MATERIAL WHICH WAS ORIGINALLY 4:3
An 81-year-old German far-right activist has been arrested in Hungary on a European warrant for offences committed while serving a prison term for denying the Holocaust, Hungarian police said on Tuesday (May 16).
Horst Mahler, once a founding member of Germany's Red Army Faction guerrilla group in the 1960s before veering to the ultra-nationalist right, was detained in Sopron near Hungary's border with Austria, on Monday, police said.
The Budapest chief prosecutor said in a separate statement that based on the European warrant Mahler's arrest was "justified". Hungarian officials made no further comment.
German media reported in April that Mahler had left the country to avoid a new prison term for writing far-right tracts while serving a previous sentence for inciting racial hatred and denying Nazi Germany's Holocaust against Jews.
Mahler was sentenced to 10 years in prison in 2009 on those charges but freed on health grounds in 2015. He became a far-right activist in later life and joined Germany's fringe neo-Nazi National Democratic Party.
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None