- Title: Red carpet rolls out for Cannes film festival
- Date: 17th May 2017
- Summary: CANNES, FRANCE (MAY 17, 2017) (REUTERS) CANNES FILM FESTIVAL POSTER ON PALAIS DES FESTIVALS / RED CARPET BEING LAID OUT VARIOUS OF RED CARPET BEING ROLLED OUT CARPET BEING ROLLED OUT / JOURNALISTS RED CARPET QUEUE OF PEOPLE OUTSIDE PALAIS DES FESTIVALS MAN SELLING 'LIBERATION' NEWSPAPER VARIOUS OF PEOPLE QUEUING FOR PASSES MAN WALKING THROUGH METAL DETECTOR MAN PICKING UP ITEMS FROM TRAY WOMAN WALKING THROUGH METAL DETECTOR PEOPLE QUEUING MAN LOOKING AT GUIDEBOOK (SOUNDBITE) (English) POET AND PAINTER, PRINCESS TATIANA ROMANOVA, SAYING: "I love sun, and I love beauty, and I love the salty air, and I love the ocean, the waves, the sea, the sea life, the ocean life, the wildlife, so it's here in Cannes." (SOUNDBITE) (English) FILM PRODUCER, AIMAN HARHISH, SAYING: "It's amazing, well actually it's an amazing location you know, it's sunny weather, lovely people, it's going to be good, it's going to be amazing." PEOPLE QUEUING PALAIS DES FESTIVALS (SOUNDBITE) (English) MEMBER OF THE PRESS, MARY TAYLOR, SAYING (ON HOW LONG SHE HAS BEEN WAITING IN THE QUEUE): "Well just under an hour, but they need to fasten (speed) things up because this is ridiculous." PEOPLE WALKING PAST AMATEUR PHOTOGRAPHER'S STEPLADDERS STEPLADDERS CANNES FANS AND AMATEUR PHOTOGRAPHERS SEATED
- Embargoed: 31st May 2017 11:33
- Keywords: cinema 70 red carpet festival Cannes
- Location: CANNES, FRANCE
- City: CANNES, FRANCE
- Country: France
- Topics: Arts / Culture / Entertainment,Film,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA0016H889XJ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: The red carpet was rolled out in Cannes on Wednesday morning (May 17) as moviegoers and celebrities readied themselves for the opening of the world-famous film festival.
With France still under a state of emergency due to a raft of Islamist attacks, Cannes 2017 - the festival's 70th outing - will be under tighter security than ever, but that did not appear to dampen spirits for people queuing for their passes.
Many moviegoers said they felt the queuing process, which included going through metal detectors, was working smoothly, though one member of the press said that she wanted things sped up.
Amateur photographer Georges Biard, who has been going to the festival for 31 years, said that he felt "relieved" that his stepladder hadn't been moved as a security measure.
"Now we're set up, it's only happiness," he added.
The festival runs until May 28.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None