- Title: Special counsel named to investigate Trump-Russia ties
- Date: 17th May 2017
- Summary: WASHINGTON, D.C., UNITED STATES (JUNE 13, 2013) (UNRESTRICTED POOL) ROBERT MUELLER, THE DIRECTOR OF THE FEDERAL BUREAU OF INVESTIGATION, TAKING AN OATH AT THE START OF A HEARING OF THE U.S. HOUSE INTELLIGENCE COMMITTEE COMMITTEE MEMBERS LOOKING ON (SOUNDBITE) (English) FBI DIRECTOR ROBERT MUELLER SAYING: "The highest priority of the intelligence community is to understand and to combat threats to our national security, but we do so in full compliance with the law. We recognize that the American public expects the FBI and our intelligence community partners to protect privacy interests even as we must -- even as we must conduct -- conduct our national security mission. The FISA court has approved both programs, and these programs have been -- conducted consistent with the Constitution and the laws of the United States." WIDESHOT FBI DIRECTOR ROBERT MUELLER TESTIFYING AT HEARING (SOUNDBITE) (English) FBI DIRECTOR ROBERT MUELLER SAYING: "As to the individual who has admitted to making these disclosures, he is the subject of an ongoing criminal investigation. These disclosures have caused significant harm to our nation and to our safety. We are taking all necessary steps to hold the person responsible for these -- disclosures. As this matter is actively under investigation, we cannot comment publicly on the details of the investigation." WIDESHOT FBI DIRECTOR ROBERT MUELLER TESTIFYING AT HEARING (SOUNDBITE) (English) FBI DIRECTOR ROBERT MUELLER SAYING: "The particular databases of metadata has no content whatsoever. We have no authority to get content. What that -- that -- the statute, we believe, and FISA court has allowed is the accumulation of metadata; that is the fact of a telephone call, the numbers called, and the time and length of those calls. And there are cases where that has been instrumental in identifying individuals who sought to harm our country." WIDESHOT FBI DIRECTOR ROBERT MUELLER TESTIFYING AT HEARING (SOUNDBITE) (English) FBI DIRECTOR ROBERT MUELLER SAYING: "Let nobody be misled in this: this hurts national security."
- Embargoed: 1st June 2017 00:13
- Keywords: investigation Russia Trump
- Location: WASHINGTON, D.C.; TUCSON, ARIZONA, UNITED STATES
- City: WASHINGTON, D.C.; TUCSON, ARIZONA, UNITED STATES
- Country: USA
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA0016H8B1HJ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: The U.S. Justice Department on Wednesday (May 17) appointed former FBI Director Robert Mueller as special counsel to investigate possible collusion between President Donald Trump's 2016 campaign team and Russia as well as alleged Russian interference in the U.S. election.
The move followed a week of turmoil for the White House amid rising demands for an independent probe of alleged Russian efforts to sway the outcome of November's presidential election in favor of Trump and against Democrat Hillary Clinton.
Pressure has been building on Trump since his firing last week of James Comey, chief of the Federal Bureau of Investigation, who had been leading a federal probe into the matter.
U.S. intelligence agencies said earlier this year that Russia interfered in the U.S. election. Moscow has dismissed the allegations, and the Trump team has denied any collusion with Russia.
The controversy has caused an uproar in Washington and on Wall Street where the S&P 500 and the Dow had their biggest one-day declines since September as investor hopes for tax cuts and other pro-business policies faded amid the political tumult.
Democrats in Congress and some of Trump's fellow Republicans had called for an independent investigation.
- Copyright Holder: POOL (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None