- Title: U.S. court urged to relax convicted Israeli spy's parole conditions
- Date: 17th May 2017
- Summary: NEW YORK, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES (MAY 17, 2017) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF JONATHAN POLLARD, A FORMER U.S. NAVY INTELLIGENCE OFFICER CONVICTED OF SPYING FOR ISRAEL, ARRIVING AT 40 CENTRE STREET VARIOUS OF POLLARD OUTSIDE COURTHOUSE POLLARD AND HIS WIFE, ESTHER POLLARD, HOLDING HANDS AND DESCENDING COURTHOUSE STAIRS AND WALKING AWAY VARIOUS EXTERIORS OF COURTHOUSE
- Embargoed: 31st May 2017 21:00
- Keywords: Israel spying for Israel Pollard convicted spy Jonathan Pollard
- Location: NEW YORK, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES
- City: NEW YORK, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES
- Country: USA
- Topics: Crime/Law/Justice,Judicial Process/Court Cases/Court Decisions
- Reuters ID: LVA0016H8AHQF
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Jonathan Pollard, a former U.S. Navy intelligence officer convicted of spying for Israel, on Wednesday (May 17) asked a New York appeals court to relax restrictive probation conditions imposed when he was released November 2015 after serving 30 years in prison.
Pollard's requirements imposed by the U.S. Parole Commission are that he wear an electronic tracking device and submit his work computer to monitoring.
Eliot Lauer, a lawyer for Pollard, argued that Pollard posed no flight risk, nor a threat to disclosing secrets as he would need to remember information from over 30 years ago that they said had no remaining value.
Pollard, 62, pleaded guilty in 1986 to conspiracy to commit espionage in connection with providing Israeli contacts with hundreds of classified documents he had obtained as a Naval intelligence specialist in exchange for thousands of dollars.
He was sentenced in 1987 to life in prison. After serving 30 years, which included time in custody following his 1985 arrest, Pollard was released on parole on Nov. 20 from a federal prison in North Carolina and now lives in New York.
Israel had long pushed for his release. As part of his parole, Pollard must remain in the United States for five years.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None