- Title: Wall Street reacts to choice of Mueller to probe Trump-Russia ties
- Date: 18th May 2017
- Summary: NEW YORK, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES (MAY 18, 2017) (REUTERS) (SOUNDBITE) (English) TIMOTHY HARDEN, SAYING: "My opinion is it's a good selection, right? Very good selection to investigate the President Donald Trump, to get to the bottom of what the truth is. And I believe it will be in his favor." VARIOUS OF WALL STREET
- Embargoed: 1st June 2017 20:39
- Keywords: special counsel to investigate alleged Russian interference in the 2016 U.S. election Donald Trump U.S. Justice Department former FBI chief Robert Mueller
- Location: NEW YORK, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES
- City: NEW YORK, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES
- Country: USA
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA0076HD9RGN
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: The U.S. Justice Department, in the face of rising pressure from Capitol Hill, named former FBI chief Robert Mueller on Wednesday (May 17) as special counsel to investigate alleged Russian interference in the 2016 U.S. election and possible collusion between President Donald Trump's campaign and Moscow.
The move followed a week in which the White House was thrown into uproar after Trump fired FBI Director James Comey. Democrats and some of the president's fellow Republicans had demanded an independent probe of whether Russia tried to sway the outcome of November's election in favor of Trump and against Democrat Hillary Clinton.
On Thursday, the appointment of Mueller to lead the investigation was seen favorably by people who work on Wall Street.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None